12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Aussie (& S-Hemisphere) Cyclone Action 2011-2012

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G’day strangers :)

Sorry ive been absent of late, and neglectful in the Aussie TC comp duties. I've just been waiting for this last lil storm to do its thing before announcing any winners. Cough cough, bull!#*$. If my memory serves me correct, this late one wont have a bearing on the results due to dates... Yeh I am a slacker, apologies. I shall make a post soon and get some postal details off of some people sometime soon/this week.

Nice lil surprise, well somewhat of a surprise, this one has been. GFS has been progging a late end to the wet during late April/May for the Top End. I wanted to believe it, but was somewhat sceptical. After last weeks storms and widespread 25-100mm, and this weeks low, im impressed!

Today definitely saw a turn in the weather here in Darwin. Overcast with loads of mid level junk and instability after a solid line of storms between Darwin and the Tiwi Islands this morning. Some CU managed to precip mid afternoon before mixing out. Will be interesting to watch the sky and sat images tomorrow. I don’t think it will cross anywhere near Darwin if it does manage to spin up, but im hoping it/the low will come close enough to give us some rain before the dry season properly kicks in. 4-5 months of blue sky and fires = depression! I need a kick to get me through...

JTWC are back in the game, seems the diurnal flare up last night grabbed their attention. I cant remember such an up and down forecast for a system in the space of 24 hours...

B. TROPICAL DISTURBANCE SUMMARY:

(1) AN AREA OF CONVECTION (REMNANTS OF TC 19S) HAS PERSISTED

NEAR 9.1S 129.2E, APPROXIMATELY 220 NM NORTH-NORTHWEST OF DARWIN,

AUSTRALIA. ANIMATED INFRARED SATELLITE IMAGERY REVEALS FLARING

CONVECTION OVER THE PAST 12 HOURS, WITH AN EXPOSED LOW LEVEL

CIRCULATION CENTER (LLCC) OBSERVED BETWEEN CONVECTIVE CYCLES. A

080715Z SSMI IMAGE DEPICTS FRAGMENTED WEAK BANDING, WITH THE DEEPEST

CONVECTION ALONG THE SOUTHERN PERIPHERY OF THE LLCC. A 080316Z OSCAT

PASS SHOWS AN ELONGATED AREA OF SHARP TROUGHING STRETCHING ALONG THE

8S LATITUDE LINE, WITH MAXIMUM WIND SPEEDS OF 30-35 KNOTS NEAR 129E

LONGITUDE. UPPER LEVEL ANALYSIS INDICATES THIS AREA IS JUST

EQUATORWARD OF A NEAR EQUATORIAL RIDGE AXIS, WITH APPROXIMATELY 15-

20 KTS OF VERTICAL WIND SHEAR (VWS). AS THE RECENT MOVEMENT HAS HAD

A MORE SOUTHERLY COMPONENT (TOWARDS THE RIDGE AXIS), THE VWS HAS

RELAXED SLIGHTLY AND MAY CONTINUE TO DO SO IF THIS MOTION PERSISTS.

NUMERICAL MODEL GUIDANCE SUGGESTS THAT REGENERATION OF TC 19S IS

POSSIBLE, PARTICULARLY IF THE SOUTHWARD MOTION CONTINUES. MAXIMUM

SUSTAINED SURFACE WINDS ARE ESTIMATED AT 25 TO 30 KNOTS. MINIMUM SEA

LEVEL PRESSURE IS ESTIMATED TO BE NEAR 1002 MB. DUE TO THE CURRENT

MOTION AND RELAXING SHEAR, THE POTENTIAL FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF A

SIGNIFICANT TROPICAL CYCLONE WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS IS MEDIUM.

G’day strangers :)

Sorry ive been absent of late, and neglectful in the Aussie TC comp duties. I've just been waiting for this last lil storm to do its thing before announcing any winners. Cough cough, bull!#*$. If my memory serves me correct, this late one wont have a bearing on the results due to dates... Yeh I am a slacker, apologies. I shall make a post soon and get some postal details off of some people sometime soon/this week.

Well, there you are. I was concerned.

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's not a cyclone, but thought you guys might get a kick out of seeing a local phenomenon known as an east coast low spinning up. We can get anywhere from 0ne to six or more of these in a winter, this one looks to be typical as far as strength and size goes. They typically cause a severe rain event, large seas and strong winds, sometimes up to the lower end of a cat 1 tropical storm. They can also cause coastal range snow events if conditions are just right (air temps, uplift, wind direction etc). I've been keeping an eye on this for a few days, they ar emy favourite weather phenomenon down here.

They are known for developing very rapidly and being hard to predict with regards intensity and duration:

http://www.bom.gov.a...alia/satellite/

Mods, please remove if you feel it's not in the rigth place, but I couldn't find anywhere else for it.

There is actually a late season system (TC Kuena) right now in the South Indian basin. It looked fairly impressive this morning, although convection is waning currently. This is an exceptionally rare event, and probably the furthest north TC to ever from in the month of December in the South Indian Ocean. Overall this is only the 4th TC to form in the modern satellite era in the South Indian Ocean.

2j44rur.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived