• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Stone Mt. GA info needed...

GaffneyPeach

My husband and son are headed to the Chick-fil-A Bowl on New Years Eve and the rest of us would like to visit Stone Mountain (or somewhere) while they are at the game. Any ideas?

If you have not been yet you need to go to the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta. It is amazing and well worth the price to get in. I love going to Stone Mtn during the summer when they have the lazer show at night but I have never visited the park during the winter.

Also you HAVE to eat at the Varsity while you are in town as well. It's a must and now a flippin hungry just thinking about it.

My husband and son are headed to the Chick-fil-A Bowl on New Years Eve and the rest of us would like to visit Stone Mountain (or somewhere) while they are at the game. Any ideas?

Probably gonna be cold but they do have this big fake snow park you can play in. It's a neat place but in my opinion is better in the day than at night. The laser show is pretty cool though but the game does not start until 730pm so it would end very late. Do you want to go to Stone Mountain and then somewhere else?

If you have not been yet you need to go to the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta. It is amazing and well worth the price to get in. I love going to Stone Mtn during the summer when they have the lazer show at night but I have never visited the park during the winter.

Also you HAVE to eat at the Varsity while you are in town as well. It's a must and now a flippin hungry just thinking about it.

That's a good idea and it's located super close to the Dome.

Probably gonna be cold but they do have this big fake snow park you can play in. It's a neat place but in my opinion is better in the day than at night. The laser show is pretty cool though but the game does not start until 730pm so it would end very late. Do you want to go to Stone Mountain and then somewhere else?

Does Stone Mtn even do the laser show outside of the summer time?

The Aquarium sounds like a great idea! Yes, we'll likely do something with the guys before the game and then we're on our own. I visited Stone Mtn years ago during the summer and loved it. They have a huge winter show that I thought would be fun. It's advertised as being huge, at least. Varsity, huh? That's on my list now.

Thanks for the info...it's very helpful. Keep it coming....

The Aquarium sounds like a great idea! Yes, we'll likely do something with the guys before the game and then we're on our own. I visited Stone Mtn years ago during the summer and loved it. They have a huge winter show that I thought would be fun. It's advertised as being huge, at least. Varsity, huh? That's on my list now.

Absolutely have to go to the Varsity. It is across the street for Georgia Tech. It was founded by a Georgia Tech droppout who decided to open up a hotdog stand across the street. Needless to say he became an extremely wealthy individual despite not having a college education. They have amazing chilli cheese hotdogs!

I forgot all about the snow show at Stone Mtn.... from what I've heard it is good.

There also is the World of Coca Cola Museum that is next to the Olympic park that is pretty cool as well. You get to taste coke products from all over the world. The CNN Center, Olympic Park, Aquarium, and Coca Cola Museum are all in the same area so you could walk to each one assuming the weather is nice.

I knew you guys would deliver! Thank you so much. I'm a little concerned about the whole 'New Years Eve' thing. With all these great ideas of where to 'go'...where should we 'not' go? LOL

Don't go to underground Atlanta... if my memory serves me right that is where they do their new years festivities. Unfortunately anywhere downtown will most likely be pretty crowded since everything is pretty close to each other and you have the bowl game so a lot of out of town peeps like yourself will be there.

I would check to see if any of those places might be closed on New Years Eve. Here's some links:

Stone Mountain Park Here's the New Years Eve events at the park http://festivals.stonemountainpark.com/calendar/default.aspx?q=cal&date=12/31/2010

Georgia Aquarium

World of Coke

Centennial Olympic Park

Kennesaw Mountain isn't bad either. It's fairly high among the surrounding area and you get a good view towards the city on a clear day. Plus you have the added value of it being a civil war battlefield. Only downside is, of course, it's outside so it might be freezing.

Stone Mountain is also having their "Snow Mountain" event. They have covered the lawn in front of the mountain with man made snow. You can snow tube, etc. They were starting to make the snow when we were there in October. I wondered then how the snow would last as we had some pretty warm weather. I t hink it is safe to say the snow is frozen now.

Just camped at Stone Mt back in August great place but don't know about winter months. park only opens on weekends in off season. Visit world of coke right beside the aquarium

game!!!!!

Negative on that...not taking a 3 year old to the 40 yard line of anybody's game. ;)

We are headed to Snow Mountain this Saturday for my daughter's birthday party....I'll let you know how it is! Hoping the rain holds off.

Thanks!!! I really want to go and play in the snow...ooohhhh....I mean...I really want my 3 year old Granddaughter to play in the snow. :D

My mom took my niece there last week while my brother was at the SEC Championship game. Said it was incredible.

As for the Chik Fil A bowl game.....Go Cocks!

Archived