joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Irene Picture/Damage Thread

BethesdaWX

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look in the foreground of the picture with the guy squatting to cut it, you can see oak leaves. If the tree is oak, I'd imagine somewhere between 250 to maybe as much as 350 years old. Now, this is not some expert opinion. However, my experience cutting oaks on my own property has led me to notice that usually they will have about 10 rings per inch on average, and sometimes more. When young they seem to put on girth fast, but later they really slow down. If you assume that man cutting is at least 5'6", it looks like that tree is greater than 4 foot in diameter. That would mean a radius of over 2 feet, over 24 inches. At an average of 10 rings per inch, that would be about 240 years. If you had 15 per inch, which I have seen higher numbers, you would be at about 350 years. I think my estimates of the size of that tree are low, if anything.

Of course, the rings could be counted, but sometimes that is tough unless you have a good straight flat cut, and the tree was healthy at its core. Sometimes those rings in the core are hard to count because the wood is so dark and often somewhat rotted.

Just some stray thoughts.

Sounds reasonable to me. I don't have too much experience with tree's or estimating age, so I'll certainly defer to your experience. It really is a shame to lose tree's that old to a storm. It's even worse when someone cuts them down like they did in my old town in NJ.

I think the point is either lost or not accepted that a good strong coast huggin nor' easter will do and has done everything and sometimes more than this ghost of a TC has done.

Irene did damage here but it wasn't as bad as Isabel.

Isabel was weak but still blowing 75 MPH gusts. My guess is that Irene was around 55-60 MPH gusts here. Isabel is pretty much the benchmark for hurricanes. If it's worse than Isabel, run. If not, no worry. Irene was a no worry hurricane, in retrospect.

:unsure:

Archived