• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Northern IL tornado events mid-late 90's to 2005

Thundersnow12

If we got a Tuscaloosa type tornado that took the track of the one that starts near I-80 west of Joliet and goes all the way northeast to the lake...I can't even think of words to describe that.

That one on the map is from 3/28/1920. I think it killed about 20 people but there's some question about whether it was on the ground the whole time (may have been a gap in/near eastern Dupage county). Anything like that is a scary thought but pretty much inevitable if we wait long enough.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That one on the map is from 3/28/1920. I think it killed about 20 people but there's some question about whether it was on the ground the whole time (may have been a gap in/near eastern Dupage county). Anything like that is a scary thought but pretty much inevitable if we wait long enough.

That F4, the downtown Chicago F3 and Rockford F4 are the ones I find most interesting during the pre-1950 period. You could probably add the long track IA/IL tor to that list too.

Went through Melrose Park, I believe?

Palm Sunday (no matter what day it's set on) just seems to be a bad day for tornadoes in general...

That F4, the downtown Chicago F3 and Rockford F4 are the ones I find most interesting during the pre-1950 period. You could probably add the long track IA/IL tor to that list too.

The downtown Chicago one was supposedly a multi-vortex tornado (I believe this exact terminology was even used in the newspaper account). Chicago was a lot smaller when it hit but still had like 400,000 people.

Very true. It's been 21 years...and its going to happen. And the sad fact is that some people are not ready for it, but being ready on can go so far. If you are stuck in traffic at 5pm on a major highway and a half mile wide or greater comes at you, there isn't much you can do.

Went through Melrose Park, I believe?

Palm Sunday (no matter what day it's set on) just seems to be a bad day for tornadoes in general...

Yep. There's been 4 or 5 bad outbreaks on Palm Sunday, no doubt helped by the fact that it falls at an active time of year.

Very true. It's been 21 years...and its going to happen. And the sad fact is that some people are not ready for it, but being ready on can go so far. If you are stuck in traffic at 5pm on a major highway and a half mile wide or greater comes at you, there isn't much you can do.

It seems almost everyone focuses on Dallas as the major tornado disaster of the future, when they forget that the nation's third largest city is in pretty primed tornadic territory...

It seems almost everyone focuses on Dallas as the major tornado disaster of the future, when they forget that the nation's third largest city is in pretty primed tornadic territory...

Dallas is probably more statistically likely to experience it but the damage potential is considerably higher around Chicago. Pick your poison.

• 1 year later...

Wanted to bump this as I noticed that LOT posted a request for pics/stories regarding the upcoming 50th anniversary of the April 17, 1963 Kankakee-Medaryville tornado.  Don't have any pics or personal accounts to share but will add a few other things.

I remember reading that the tornado may have been part of a squall line or broken squall line and was visible to people in its path which probably explains the low death toll.   Time of day also didn't hurt as it occurred in the late afternoon/early evening.  Based on surrounding obs, temps were likely in the upper 70s with dewpoints in the low 60s in the area where the tornado occurred.  The 00z/April 18 RAOB from Dayton, Ohio reveals a nice elevated mixed layer along with substantial directional and speed shear and gives a glimpse of the what the environment in northern IL/IN may have been like, though instability in IL/IN was probably higher.  Note that the 00z/April 18 Peoria, IL RAOB had decent instability even though the cold front had already passed.     

post-14-0-12975800-1360135691_thumb.gif 

post-14-0-15192500-1360136641_thumb.gif

The Great Lakes setups really love that long, more or less straight, southwesterly H5/upper level jet associated with a large scale positive tilt long wave with embedded strong shortwaves.

That 1963 event is an example, as is 4/3/56, 4/11/65, 4/21/67...etc.

Just to add a little more about that 4/17/63 tornado... based on Storm Data for April 1963, it appears the areas of most intense damage were just north of Kankakee and then again in eastern Jasper county Indiana north of Gifford. Grazulis/official ratings are the same - F4 - but Grazulis mentions areas of near F5 damage in IL and IN which he doesn't do for many of the F4s.

• 1 year later...

3/4/61...

Notes:

-The F2 tornado that pushed across Cook county killed 1 and injured 115 people.

-The F1 tornado that pushed across McClean, Ford, and Iroquois counties injured 1.

Soundings:

12z DVN

0z DVN

12z Upper Air Maps:

346112z500.png

346112z700.png

346112z850.png

0z Upper Air Maps:

34610z500.png

34610z700.png

34610z850.png

Tornado Count: 4

Illinois: 3

F1: 1

F2: 1

F3: 1

Michigan: 1

F2:

3461reports.png

Wanted to add to this.  I was searching for something else and came across some damage pictures from the tornado that went through the south side of Chicago. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edschonsett/2962738792/

Looks like it was a classic cool season event with high shear and low instability.  Temperatures in Chicago started off in the upper 30s/low 40s that day as the warm front was still well south.  The warm front moved through the area toward evening with a corresponding wind shift and increase in temps/moisture.  Obs at Midway Airport around the time of the tornado were 56/54 with a SSE wind.  Given the surface frontal position and the fact that the tornado touched down south of there, it may be reasonable to assume that temps/dewpoints were at least a couple degrees higher in the area where the tornado tracked. 

Considering the damage descriptions, this sounds like a legit F2 and not one of those overrated tornadoes from the old days.  Besides the moderate to severe structural damage in places, it tossed a car approximately 50 yards and moved an 8000 pound vending machine 35 feet.

post-14-0-72121800-1404758747_thumb.gif

post-14-0-94268400-1404758755_thumb.gif

post-14-0-97743400-1404758763_thumb.gif

post-14-0-93371600-1404758771_thumb.gif

Archived