Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
let's track some storms today

earthlight

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard that lightning can strike and kill people in clear blue skies with storms 10 miles away or more.

I nearly got killed by one of these years ago. Ten minutes after the storm passed, with the sun out, it hit a car about 25 feet from me just as I was walking outside.

Was watching the awesome storms over Queens from my balcony in Brooklyn. Took this pic at sunset

post-503-0-63332700-1312257622.jpg

Wow, amazing! That and the rainbow shot you took are two of the best pics I've ever seen! That literally looks like a fiery wormhole is about to open up overhead and shallow everything up!

Yeah it was to the North, and I actually did catch part of it. Never saw a red lightning bolt.

Blue lightning within a cloud indicates the presence of hail.

Red lightning within a cloud indicates the presence of rain.

Yellow or orange lightning occurs when there is a large concentration of dust in the air.

I nearly got killed by one of these years ago. Ten minutes after the storm passed, with the sun out, it hit a car about 25 feet from me just as I was walking outside.

Wow, you were really lucky! These kinds of incidents are reported near beaches the most, probably because people venture outside to take a dip when they think it's clearing up and they get zapped. I remember something like this happening a couple years ago on Long Island when the guy got zapped on the beach under a clear blue sky. The storms were in C NJ somewhere (probably the coast), but he got struck and killed on the south shore of Long Island.

Blue lightning within a cloud indicates the presence of hail.

Red lightning within a cloud indicates the presence of rain.

Yellow or orange lightning occurs when there is a large concentration of dust in the air.

Interesting... I've heard of dust creating some freaky colors, but I've never heard of precip types affecting the color.

Interesting... I've heard of dust creating some freaky colors, but I've never heard of precip types affecting the color.

It's normally white......But it can be many colors....the colors can be caused by what's in the cloud/air and the color of the bolt can also depend on how hot it is; the hotter the lightning, the closer the color will be to the end of the spectrum.

No rain at all in Queens this evening. There were a lot of thunder and lightning.

Where in Queens dude? I got wrecked here with 1 inch hail and torrential rain. Places to my east still within Queens got monster hail from the afternoon storm and from the evening one.

Where in Queens dude? I got wrecked here with 1 inch hail and torrential rain. Places to my east still within Queens got monster hail from the afternoon storm and from the evening one.

He was at the Mets game. I got nothing also in Astoria. That big cell started 2-3 miles east of Citi Field.

Archived