e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Pittsburgh, PA Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rants,

There is reaaly no reason for you to rain on everyones enthusiasm.....

Mentioning that it is no fun to be stranded in a car for days by snow is simply pointing out that snow has consequences. While some find snow great fun it can also be inconvenient, dangerous, or even deadly.

I live on a farm in Western Westmoreland County (not far from Monroeville, actually) and we have a quarter-mile private lane. A big snow might be exciting but it also means we might not get plowed out for days. Businesses with regular contracts get the plow people first; as a private residence we can't afford to contract with anyone for the whole winter like that. In the meantime, if that lane is impassible there would be no way for emergency vehicles like ambulance, police, etc. to get to us. Needless to say that could be a life-threatening situation. I don't mean to dampen anyone's enthusiasm or their snow fun by telling this; again am just stating fact that snow has consequences.

Now, all that said, please can someone point me to general discussion of the models, general storm discussion etc. on this new board? Are there such threads in the General Discussion area, or somewhere? (If there is, sorry but I can't find them.) I find lurking and reading general discussions before storms a good way to learn, but it helps to hear people talk about the entire storm not just our area. -- Thanks.

As everybody knows, "It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye..."

Metaphorically speaking, Rants has lost one, and I've been poked in the eye enough times that I understand where he's coming from....

Most people on here get excited about heavy snow and severe weather. I lost trees around my house from severe thunderstorms in the past years and I get nervous for wind advisories and warnings but it doesn' t lessen my enthusiasm for tracking extreme weather.

Mentioning that it is no fun to be stranded in a car for days by snow is simply pointing out that snow has consequences. While some find snow great fun it can also be inconvenient, dangerous, or even deadly.

I live on a farm in Western Westmoreland County (not far from Monroeville, actually) and we have a quarter-mile private lane. A big snow might be exciting but it also means we might not get plowed out for days. Businesses with regular contracts get the plow people first; as a private residence we can't afford to contract with anyone for the whole winter like that. In the meantime, if that lane is impassible there would be no way for emergency vehicles like ambulance, police, etc. to get to us. Needless to say that could be a life-threatening situation. I don't mean to dampen anyone's enthusiasm or their snow fun by telling this; again am just stating fact that snow has consequences.

Now, all that said, please can someone point me to general discussion of the models, general storm discussion etc. on this new board? Are there such threads in the General Discussion area, or somewhere? (If there is, sorry but I can't find them.) I find lurking and reading general discussions before storms a good way to learn, but it helps to hear people talk about the entire storm not just our area. -- Thanks.

Guy's,

We spent A LOT of time on this last year....

Yes, weather can have consequences, and we all hope nothing of consequence happens to us or anyone....absolute fact.

That being said, it is a weather board and we are embracing the hobby portion of weather. It's almost like saying "how can you possibly watch a Steeler game because at some point someone may get seriously hurt". There are rare....yet potentially real issues to potentially deal with. But we don't stop watching. If something does happen....for example the kid at Rutgers....it's important to pause, pray and gain perspective. Same with weather.

That being said, if someone does not like football.....or winter weather...because of those types of concerns, that is a perfectly valid and understandable viewpoint. Yet, it wouldn't make sense to hang around a Steeler board just to say "how can you guys like this because someone may get seriously hurt". i think there has been some of that in the past with some. One one hand it's understandable....on the other hand it may not be the crowd to preach to because they don't won't their parade rained on so to speak.. I hope this makes sense - I think it's a fair look at this.

As far as the board....it has me a little out of sorts too. Model threads pop up randomly in the general discussion as well as some of the regional boards. There isn't a large crew tracking this as far as the models due to it being a primarily rain event for I95. I think they will be more prevalent for events that look good for more people.

Rants,

There is reaaly no reason for you to rain on everyones enthusiasm.....

What are you talking about? I am sure being stranded in a car with no heat for two days isn't fun. Your really starting to act like a troll with this bickering on everything he says.

Lets keep this thread free of this crap.

Guy's,

We spent A LOT of time on this last year....

Yes, weather can have consequences, and we all hope nothing of consequence happens to us or anyone....absolute fact.

That being said, it is a weather board and we are embracing the hobby portion of weather. It's almost like saying "how can you possibly watch a Steeler game because at some point someone may get seriously hurt". There are rare....yet potentially real issues to potentially deal with. But we don't stop watching. If something does happen....for example the kid at Rutgers....it's important to pause, pray and gain perspective. Same with weather.

That being said, if someone does not like football.....or winter weather...because of those types of concerns, that is a perfectly valid and understandable viewpoint. Yet, it wouldn't make sense to hang around a Steeler board just to say "how can you guys like this because someone may get seriously hurt". i think there has been some of that in the past with some. One one hand it's understandable....on the other hand it may not be the crowd to preach to because they don't won't their parade rained on so to speak.. I hope this makes sense - I think it's a fair look at this.

As far as the board....it has me a little out of sorts too. Model threads pop up randomly in the general discussion as well as some of the regional boards. There isn't a large crew tracking this as far as the models due to it being a primarily rain event for I95. I think they will be more prevalent for events that look good for more people.

Well said. I agree with all of this. Others on here may not agree with what you said, and that's fine, but you've basically echoed my sentiments about the subject. And I don't think it makes any of us heartless or evil to still get excited about tracking storms despite some of the consequences that can be involved. And, as far as I know, none of us can control the weather, so whatever is going to happen is going to happen anyway, whether we like it or not. Blame "mother nature" if you hate what is or isn't going on. Getting angry at other posters on a message board isn't going to solve anything. It'll just cause some hard feelings. That's just my 2 cents on the subject.

Anyway, back to the storm. It looks to me, at this point, that we're going to see very little from the storm itself. I thought maybe 1-3 yesterday, but now I think an inch or less is more likely given the path that the low is supposed to take. Usually with this type of scenario, once the front moves through, we can get a quick burst of snow for a couple of hours after the changeover and then it's all about whatever we get from LES after that. That's just my take on it at this point.

It's not so much a matter of liking the Steelers (or winter weather) or not; it's more like maybe someone is interested in the Steelers and in learning more about football in general, so hangs out on a Steelers board, but isn't thrilled when someone says something like, "oooooooh, it's so much fun when the players butt heads and the plays get really violent." Yes, maybe hard-hitting play like that is more interesting or even more fun for some people to watch, but it makes other fans nervous when some folks cheer the hard hits and appear to focus only on the fun. No matter how much people enjoy those plays they really should be respectful that other fans care how players can get really hurt in those kinds of plays and there can be life-altering consequences from them. IMO.

So that said, IMO any ongoing discussion of weather, which is a beautiful and wondrous thing, needs to also include discussion of its dangers as well. Years ago, when the internet was still pretty much just AOL and Compuserve, I was on a weather board and heeded a met's post about a great storm that was coming, when the post included a warning not to travel. Thankfully the met was aware enough to say that while the coming storm was "cool" it was also going to create dangerous conditions X, Y, and Z and that knowledge kept me off the road. I think in retrospect that post may have saved my life or at least saved me major grief.

As far as this new board, obviously it is still finding its way. I really preferred it at Eastern back when general discussions were together on the main board, with a thread for Pittsburgh area, Mid-Atlantic, NY, etc. To me it was easier to follow things and learn that way.

Anyway I would suggest that if anyone spots a good model discussion or other discussion in another part of this new board, maybe post a heads up here?

Thanks!

It's not so much a matter of liking the Steerlers (or winter weather) or not; it's more like maybe someone is interested in the Steelers and in learning more about football in general, so hangs out on a Steelers board, but isn't thrilled when someone says something like, "oooooooh, it's so much fun when the players butt heads and the plays get really violent." Yes, maybe hard-hitting play like that is more interesting or even more fun for some people to watch, but it makes other fans nervous when some folks cheer the hard hits and appear to focus only on the fun. No matter how much people enjoy those plays they really should be respectful that other fans care how players can get really hurt in those kinds of plays and there can be life-altering consequences from them. IMO.

So that said, IMO any ongoing discussion of weather, which is a beautiful and wondrous thing, needs to also include discussion of its dangers as well. Years ago, when the internet was still pretty much just AOL and Compuserve, I was on a weather board and heeded a met's post about a great storm that was coming, when the post included a warning not to travel. Thankfully the met was aware enough to say that while the coming storm was "cool" it was also going to create dangerous conditions X, Y, and Z and that knowledge kept me off the road. I think in retrospect that post may have saved my life or at least saved me major grief.

As far as this new board, obviously it is still finding its way. I really preferred it at Eastern back when general discussions were together on the main board, with a thread for Pittsburgh area, Mid-Atlantic, NY, etc. To me it was easier to follow things and learn that way.

Anyway I would suggest that if anyone spots a good model discussion or other discussion in another part of this new board, maybe post a heads up here?

Thanks!

All fair points...

NAM looks good. Looking on twisterdata, the 0C line crosses us around or just before hour 15. The precip starts then or soon-thereafter. Following that we get more precip than the 12 z, and after that shows the great les setup. I'm feeling pretty good about a nice sized snow even come the end of all this.

EDIT: Btw nice little connection on the les

nam_ref_054s.gif

Just to add my 2 cents on the Steelers analogy, I don't buy into it at all. You can like the game, and want to learn more about it, but being on an internet forum isn't at all like being on the field. With weather, we're all on the field, so to speak. And while not every hit by James Harrison injures somebody, I'd be willing to bet that they're all painful to some degree. That's what you have with weather--everybody gets to participate. If getting hit by James is what floats your boat, well, I won't pretend to understand, but who am I to criticize?

That having been said, I do acknowledge that those who love snowstorms have just as much right to express their enthusiasm as those who hate snowstorms have a right to express their disdain. (And you need to read that sentence with the clauses reversed too--there's as much right to express disdain as there is to express enthusiasm.) I've never made any secret about the fact that any affection for snow has long since been beaten out of me. Personally, I get grouchier as events approach, in proportion to how big they might be, on a scale equivalent to the snow lovers getting ever more excited, but I don't bring that to this forum. Both points of view need to respect each other, and respond to each other accordingly...

Just to add my 2 cents on the Steelers analogy, I don't buy into it at all. You can like the game, and want to learn more about it, but being on an internet forum isn't at all like being on the field. With weather, we're all on the field, so to speak. And while not every hit by James Harrison injures somebody, I'd be willing to bet that they're all painful to some degree. That's what you have with weather--everybody gets to participate. If getting hit by James is what floats your boat, well, I won't pretend to understand, but who am I to criticize?

That having been said, I do acknowledge that those who love snowstorms have just as much right to express their enthusiasm as those who hate snowstorms have a right to express their disdain. (And you need to read that sentence with the clauses reversed too--there's as much right to express disdain as there is to express enthusiasm.) I've never made any secret about the fact that any affection for snow has long since been beaten out of me. Personally, I get grouchier as events approach, in proportion to how big they might be, on a scale equivalent to the snow lovers getting ever more excited, but I don't bring that to this forum. Both points of view need to respect each other, and respond to each other accordingly...

Right - but the Wright/Eastern/American legacy is that 99% are those who look at snowstorm tracking as a sport. It's not generally a forum of those who are negative about snow. So, I can see some being annoyed at certain types of repetitive comments by some. But certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion

The Steeler analogy was meant to refer to someone who were to lurk on a Steeler forum just to tell everyone they don't like football. It doesn't really fit, and sometimes you would have to wonder if there were other ways they could spend their time if football isn't something they like.

You on the other hand have your niche as our snow plow guy....so your disdain kinda "fits" and is welcome by all.

Right - but the Wright/Eastern/American legacy is that 99% are those who look at snowstorm tracking as a sport. It's not generally a forum of those who are negative about snow.

Yep, but so many of the posts are of the "Im tracking this event, and I want it to happen here" variety, which is why I likened it to being hit by Harrison, as opposed to being in the stands and simply watching. And believe me, it took some getting used to that "Models have shifted 50 miles east, so we're now in the bullseye! This is sooo good!", really meant that the weather was soon going to be very "bad" (as defined by the 99.999999% of the population that doesn't post on the weather forums) . It's like living in upside-down town, but I always try to adapt.

You on the other hand have your niche as our snow plow guy....so your disdain kinda "fits" and is welcome by all.

Thanks. You can just think of me as the annoying model that's always the outlier... :)

This is excatally why I do not post very often. My meterological knowledge is limited, so I come here to learn. I had hoped to find others who share in my enthusiam. Never, do I wish any type of harm to come to anyone or their property. I find it offensive that some on here assume that I do. I am a mature adult who is very capable of understanding the consequenses of extreem weather. The last time I posted on Eastern about an up comming event that was exciting (to me) the very same thing happened. I never responded to those comments: now, I feel that I must. I do not have the knowledge to give my opinion on model runs or contribute to this board in that kind of manner. What I can contribute is my enthusiam, general interest, and observations of weather related events. There is entirely to much criticism here. It comes in all forms: for example if someone misspells a word or uses incorrect grammer one in a while they are berated and made fun of. Hopefully, this is the last time I will feel the need to defend myself. This is a wonderful place to learn and exchange ideas. Let us all try to keep it that way.

Yep, but so many of the posts are of the "Im tracking this event, and I want it to happen here" variety, which is why I likened it to being hit by Harrison, as opposed to being in the stands and simply watching. And believe me, it took some getting used to that "Models have shifted 50 miles east, so we're now in the bullseye! This is sooo good!", really meant that the weather was soon going to be very "bad" (as defined by the 99.999999% of the population that doesn't post on the weather forums) . It's like living in upside-down town, but I always try to adapt.

Thanks. You can just think of me as the annoying model that's always the outlier... :)

I think these 2 bolded statements say it all, both view points have a right to be heard and both usually have valid points. However, a person visiting these forums needs to realize that this is sorta of like "upside-down town" and that the main purpose of this board is to look for and track and experience wild weather events that most of the population would find to be an inconvenience. If you are not ok with this, then maybe you shouldn't post here. Its sort of like the Hurricane threads, people are hoping for a land falling hurricane which is a disaster in the view of most.

Look, guys, my point wasn't to say that he can't talk about the negatives...I understand that bad things can happen during a storm, and I don't wish that on anyone...

My point was though, and this is something Rants has been guilty of on the other board, is when you are on a weather board, and most of us want to see this happen as far as the storm, you don't need to tell other folks that they are wrong for being enthusiastic. Last winer Rants, no one wanted to see you have your house collapse...and no one wanted to see your children scared to death by that whole ordeal, and even I said enough was enough at a point...however, there is no reason to tell people they are wrong for wanting to experience this extreme weather. Sure, maybe if they had the same experience as you they would feel the same, but most on here want to see it happen, so while you are free to express your views, also please just try not to make people feel wrong for wanting to see a 20 inch storm.

In any case, my 2 cents.

This is excatally why I do not post very often. My meterological knowledge is limited, so I come here to learn. I had hoped to find others who share in my enthusiam. Never, do I wish any type of harm to come to anyone or their property. I find it offensive that some on here assume that I do. I am a mature adult who is very capable of understanding the consequenses of extreem weather. The last time I posted on Eastern about an up comming event that was exciting (to me) the very same thing happened. I never responded to those comments: now, I feel that I must. I do not have the knowledge to give my opinion on model runs or contribute to this board in that kind of manner. What I can contribute is my enthusiam, general interest, and observations of weather related events. There is entirely to much criticism here. It comes in all forms: for example if someone misspells a word or uses incorrect grammer one in a while they are berated and made fun of. Hopefully, this is the last time I will feel the need to defend myself. This is a wonderful place to learn and exchange ideas. Let us all try to keep it that way.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Love this....I also LOVE snow, and lots of it...however NEVER wish any ill harm on ANYone having a misfortune from it....Good post

72 hr precip looks good. Especially considering the models usually low ball the les.

.. wonder when PIT will decide on warning or advisory

00znamp72078.gif

Since the winter storm watch was last reissued at 3:44, they usually update them every 6 hours so I'm guessing they are going to upgrade pretty soon. I'm also wondering what they will do regarding the strong wind/blowing and drifting snow potential.

Edit: Guess I was wrong, winter storm watch just reissued at 10:19. Guess they are going to wait until tomorrow to upgrade.

Since the winter storm watch was last reissued at 3:44, they usually update them every 6 hours so I'm guessing they are going to upgrade pretty soon. I'm also wondering what they will do regarding the strong wind/blowing and drifting snow potential.

Edit: Guess I was wrong, winter storm watch just reissued at 10:19. Guess they are going to wait until tomorrow to upgrade.

what if a blizzard warning could be issued for strong wind/blowing snow, they did that in Illinois and Iowa for 2-4 inches of snow

Archived