• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Why does it rain more near airports?

In a normal Summer, sometimes near IAH is where the bay breeze and sea breeze collide.

I wonder if DWH is far enough away from IAH to draw inferences. It isn't that far from the usual approach, however. I wouldn't imagine small private aviation would have much affect.

Bush-jets-and-Katrina.jpg

Makes you wonder if we could disrupt hurricanes by launching rockets into the feeder bands to seed those clouds and suck moisture/energy from the actual core.

Nope. The inner core energy of a hurricane is almost completely independent of what is going on in the feeder bands. Also, since hurricanes derive their energy from the latent heat release of condensation, seeding would make intensification more likely, not less (though I don't think the effect of seeding would make much difference within an eyewall - updrafts are continuous enough that I don't think there is excess water vapor not being condensed on cloud drops).

Not always a correct assumpstion. In Sierra Vista I averaged nearly 2 inches more rain during the monsoon than did Libby Airfield/Sierra Vista Muni at FHU and nearly 3 inches for the year. Here in Tucson, it varies though I average slightly more than TUS for the year while Davis-Monthan just to my south gets a bit more than me.

Steve

Archived