• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Future cast radar?

Was wondering if anyone knew of any good sites online with weather maps showing the precip for 6hrs in the future or more. I typically chekc out the one on weather.com, but it doesn't seem to be working and all the other ones I found online all show the past. Anyone know of anything worth checking out?

Was wondering if anyone knew of any good sites online with weather maps showing the precip for 6hrs in the future or more. I typically chekc out the one on weather.com, but it doesn't seem to be working and all the other ones I found online all show the past. Anyone know of anything worth checking out?

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrrconus/

Check out the composite reflectivity. This is just a simple model output field that is used to recreate precipitation echoes you would normally see on radar.

I wish they'd rename this model. It's hard to say during briefings. It's like your saying R too many times or maybe not enough. lol. I call it the H-triple-R now, or if management isn't there I call it the HAR.

I've been pronouncing it like this:

dbdec529-c8f2-45bb-b4d3-9fd6aeea9e26.jpg

Are the guys at air traffic still going crazy everytime convection pops up on the his res model? :lol:

Ha...yeah. They live and die by that model. Normally they die.

btw...congrats on your graduation! Well done! The red tag looks good and you.

I do too, I think this model has the greatest potential to be a supermodel

Well as a hires model it has an upward battle and much competition to ever be considered a supermodel. It'll probably have to adjust to life as an ordinary model like pretty much every other model has to.

lol, it sure has alot of cool graphics IMO

Yeah. it has a way of making high resolution data look sexy. The 4km WRF is guilty of illiciting the same response. Just because something looks good doesn't mean it's got the right idea about a specific mesoscale response. These new high res models give an explicit output of mesoscale features, whereas lower res models force you to infer the meso response. Which is better? The jury is still out I suppose, but these models are good to have as yet another tool during the forecast process.

These new high res models give an explicit output of mesoscale features, whereas lower res models force you to infer the meso response. Which is better?

I wouldnt take either verbatim, and both should leave MUCH to the imagination but I think the newer HR models do display a more accurate outcome as far as mesocale features go.

Which one do you prefer?

I wouldnt take either verbatim, and both should leave MUCH to the imagination but I think the newer HR models do display a more accurate outcome as far as mesocale features go.

Which one do you prefer?

No one should ever take any model verbatim. The hires models have their times when they get the convective mode right. However, I've also seen them develop organized convection for no apparent reason. They will take me some getting used to and to figure out their expected behaviors and errors.

I don't really have a preference btw hi and lo res models. I just look at the hi res models as yet another new model to get accustomed to and to see where they can perhaps add value to my forecasts.

Archived