• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
THE WEATHER CHANNEL

Dr. Forbes was absolutely incredible covering the Tuscaloosa to Birmingham tornado via radar. I don't know how anyone could do a better job.

The entire team of Forbes, Carl Parker, and Jeff in the field just outside Birmingham was fantastic.

Yes! I don't think I have watched TWC for this long of a stretch in years...maybe a decade. Terrible news about the destruction down there though.

Fobes/Parker/Morrow worked in tandem very well. These guys keep it real and actually have a sense of what they're talking about. TWC is losing the quality mets however

Yea, still showing live coverage at 2 AM. Well done. I don't think they are losing quality mets. Brian Norcross joined about a year ago.

It's not like the Vivian Browns of TWC are broadcasting during major live events. All the important players are doing their jobs during critical moments.

He was on earlier in the evening. I think he was actually on location in Tuscaloosa while Jeff Morrow was in Birmingham.

That would explain it, I was out of the house while Tuscaloosa got hit.

I did end up seeing a quick vidclip of him on their overnight coverage. He was on an interstate somewhere, and they were just pushing cars off the side of the road with a bulldozer like they were toys.

Yea, still showing live coverage at 2 AM. Well done. I don't think they are losing quality mets. Brian Norcross joined about a year ago.

It's not like the Vivian Browns of TWC are broadcasting during major live events. All the important players are doing their jobs during critical moments.

that's true..Its especially noticeable during big severe wx outbreaks and hurricanes ect. When things get serious, so does TWC.

TWC still has it's moments though. Earlier today they were live in Alabama talking to someone that just lost their house and they cut back to the studio so they could mention some stupid contest where you can win a $15K backyard makeover. But I guess it's the nature of the job.

It's certainly better than the idiots on Fox and CNN broadcasting live from London trying to talk about what's going on here.:axe:

Like pretty much everyone here probably when I was growing up I used to watch TWC religiously...like at least 10-15 hours per day. Then once I found out about the NWS and SPC and computer models I hardly ever watched TWC. With this outbreak though things were different, pretty much whenever I was home I had TWC on. I was very pleased with their coverage and such.

I didn't watch any TV at all during the event on Wednesday (I was at work), but I did watch some of the post-storm coverage on TWC. They showed...I guess I would best describe it as a "highlight reel" of coverage from earlier in the day, and I was very impressed with the work that Dr. Forbes was doing, especially the radar analysis.

They also showed footage with Jeff Morrow live as the tornado was approaching Birmingham - my first reaction was that it was sort of cheesy and sensationalistic (I feel the same way about those times that they send people out into hurricanes)...but then I thought, well, if there are a few people who are so stubborn that they need to SEE the tornado on the ground before they take shelter, then maybe this will make them take action.

Overall I think TWC went a long way towards redeeming itself with coverage of this event. They were actually the best place to get TV coverage via satellite/cable after the news cycles on the dedicated news channels cycled off the tornado outbreak.

Like pretty much everyone here probably when I was growing up I used to watch TWC religiously...like at least 10-15 hours per day. Then once I found out about the NWS and SPC and computer models I hardly ever watched TWC. With this outbreak though things were different, pretty much whenever I was home I had TWC on. I was very pleased with their coverage and such.

lmaosmiley.gif

Compared to how far they've come...TWC is improving.

But... all we heard/saw was Tuscaloosa/Birmingham. Later in the evening on the 27th they would update with a 20 second discussion of a new TOR that popped up, but they should have covered everything going on through GA, ERN TN, VA as the night progressed...

That's where they still can improve. Too much on air coverage was around the two major pop areas already hit while smaller cities/towns continued to be ravaged.

By no means does this post say Tuscaloosa/Birmingham didn't deserve the coverage...terrible tragedy - BUT, they could have continued the same caliber of coverage through 3-4 am as they did from 2 pm - 8 pm.

What about the 1 AM - 6 AM wrain-wrapped monsters that struck in the wee hours of 4/27...?

I was up, and there were many tornadoes. More coverage was needed.

using Tapatalk

Archived