wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Debunking the AGW Theory?

BethesdaWX

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The amount of warming is the issue, and hypothesis, though. and hypothesis are disproven all the time. If we miss one feedback, then everything is screwed

Indeed, which is why it is good to have a variety of opinions represented. Within the field of climatology there is active disagreement about the amount of warming that will occur and articles peer-reviewed articles are written and reviewed by scientists on different ends of the spectrum. This does not, however, include the opinion that AGW is false.

Indeed, which is why it is good to have a variety of opinions represented. Within the field of climatology there is active disagreement about the amount of warming that will occur and articles peer-reviewed articles are written and reviewed by scientists on different ends of the spectrum. This does not, however, include the opinion that AGW is false.

AGW very well could be false. All it takes is one simple error the spectral analysis of CO2. I don't believe it is false, but many other do. However, that doesn't make them kooks just because they disagree.

Theres a difference between "less likely to be correct", and "kooks".

Over the past decade+, there has been net cooling on RSS and UAH, when the trend was supposed to be a +0.18C/decade. UAH includes the poles, RSS includes most of the N pole, None of the S pole which has been COOLING

My whole point in posting this smash hit thread, was that science is uncertain, and that changes will be made, and need to be made.

False. UAH shows a rate of warming around +.08C/decade over the last 10-12 years.

False. UAH shows a rate of warming around +.08C/decade over the last 10-12 years.

Not when MAR 2011 is added.

As for ENSO removal...AGAIN, its not Just ENSO

If we could figure out how exactly to adjust for IPO, QDO, PDO, AMO, Global SST, Global Cloud Cover/GCC, LLCC, M/ULCC, Volcanism, IOD, HLB, NAO/AO/AAO, QBO, NAM, Global Sea Ice, Global Snowcover, TSI, and Deep Ocean currents/speed, MJO, all little drivers.....Then we could remove for ENSO easily. Its not Just removing ENSO from the trend...its everything that infects the trend, which Tamino does not do. If we could measure GCC for example, we could probably determine alot more just on the one scale.

How about

-The paper hasn't been through the scientific process

We're not going to discuss the potential scientific 'validity' of the paper, because 1. the bolded above, 2. none of us is probably qualified, and 3. there are several other red flags that signal this as a kook article (i.e. CO2 causes cooling? Really?).

best post of the thread.

I like to try and sift through the arguments but when it comes down to it none of us are qualified and this forum really should just consist of posting of the latest scientific literature and data.

Not when MAR 2011 is added.

As for ENSO removal...AGAIN, its not Just ENSO

If we could figure out how exactly to adjust for IPO, QDO, PDO, AMO, Global SST, Global Cloud Cover/GCC, LLCC, M/ULCC, Volcanism, IOD, HLB, NAO/AO/AAO, QBO, NAM, Global Sea Ice, Global Snowcover, TSI, and Deep Ocean currents/speed, MJO, all little drivers.....Then we could remove for ENSO easily. Its not Just removing ENSO from the trend...its everything that infects the trend, which Tamino does not do. If we could measure GCC for example, we could probably determine alot more just on the one scale.

Actually when we don't correct for ENSO we find an extremely rapid warming trend of .22C/decade over the last 11 years. Which just goes to show how sensitive the trends are to start date (because of ENSO).

post-480-0-14925700-1303243792.png

Actually when we don't correct for ENSO we find an extremely rapid warming trend of .22C/decade over the last 11 years. Which just goes to show how sensitive the trends are to start date (because of ENSO).

Yes, but you have to remove more than just ENSO

In this case, since we are comparing data to Hansen's projections, I think it's a conflict of interest to use Hansen's data. Especially with a graph that ends in 2005, a year that GISS had considerably warmer than other sources.

I'll create a graph based off the methods described in his paper tonight. I'm quite confident the CO2 is right about on track for Scen B but the methane is way below. I'll convert methane into CO2 units using their relative strengths as GHGs.

AGW very well could be false. All it takes is one simple error the spectral analysis of CO2. I don't believe it is false, but many other do. However, that doesn't make them kooks just because they disagree.

Theres a difference between "less likely to be correct", and "kooks".

How could it be false? You're saying a heat-trapping gas doesn't trap heat?

Why do you think Venus is so damn hot, for god's sake? You have a thicker atmosphere, the planet gets hotter.

Yes, but you have to remove more than just ENSO

I'm not removing for anything.

The trend is .22C/decade over the last 11 years.

You want to claim cooling by using selective start dates, well then I am going to claim rapid warming by using selective start dates too.

You want to claim cooling by using selective start dates, well then I am going to claim rapid warming by using selective start dates too.

I'm not doing either, overall, we have flatlined. Removing for ENSO is only part of the issue, so you cannot really claim warming or cooling.

Have you ever stopped to wonder why the original AGW hypothesis references the year 2100???? Why wasn't the hypothesis crafted to predict the climate at a shorter lead time, if AGW/Climate Change/??? is ALREADY be portrayed as contributing (or is indirectly attributable) to: extreme weather, rapid sea level rise, rapid warming, rapid glacial retreats, etc. ?

Have you ever stopped to wonder why the original AGW hypothesis references the year 2100???? Why wasn't the hypothesis crafted to predict the climate at a shorter lead time, if AGW/Climate Change/??? is ALREADY be portrayed as contributing (or is indirectly attributable) to: extreme weather, rapid sea level rise, rapid warming, rapid glacial retreats, etc. ?

Because its not ;)

I'm not doing either, overall, we have flatlined. Removing for ENSO is only part of the issue, so you cannot really claim warming or cooling.

No most start dates indicate warming. Depending on your start date you will find a trend between -.05C/decade to +.25C/decade over the last 8-14 years. The average is around +.08C/decade. And this is on UAH which has been colder than all other tropospheric sources in the long run (STAR, radiosonde, RSS).

Only by choosing a very specific and biased start date does one find a cooling trend. But of course, nobody expects any better from you.

No most start dates indicate warming. Depending on your start date you will find a trend between -.05C/decade to +.25C/decade over the last 8-14 years. The average is around +.08C/decade.

Wrong :(

2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 1998, 2010, all show cooling. 1999, 2000, 2001, 2006, 2008, 2009, show warming.

Doesn't change this

The funny thing about this is that even going from Nina to Nino (1999 to 2010), that .22C/decade trend is still pretty close to the expected warming over 11 years. Not really "rapid" compared to projections.

The funny thing about this is that even going from Nina to Nino (1999 to 2010), that .22C/decade trend is still pretty close to the expected warming over 11 years. Not really "rapid" compared to projections.

Indeed, it most certainly has been lower than the long term trend the last 8-12 years. I think this is mostly explained by the solar cycle and maybe -PDO.

Well, based on my first quick skim of the article, there's one blatant error that stands out to me.

They claim that the earth receives 1368W/m2 of solar energy but that the IPCC says the earth only receives 341W/m2 and that the IPCC is wrong. The 1368 is what you find for a satellite in space receiving 24 hours/day of sunlight.

The 341W/m2 takes into account the curvature of the earth and the fact that half of the earth faces away from the sun.

Oops.

They forgot about night time and the curve of the earth. Don't expect this to be showing up in any peer-reviewed journals any time soon.

Archived