• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 4-5 2011 Storm Pics.

Gastonwxman

Here's a couple from when the wind peak gust was 70mph; one showing from when my grill got swept off (and dragged back some) and the other showing a bit of trash of where my garbage can landed at:

IMG_3961.jpg?t=1301993872

5dqvs9.jpg

The next four are bits of trash that I found scattered about. First one has a half gallon milk jug, a box of zingers, a wheel off of my trash can and a plastic bowl.

IMG_3967.jpg?t=1301994552

A soda bottle underneath the Oldsmobile (1972 Cutlass Supreme)

img3968y.jpg

Walmart bag and a burger box from McDonald's beside the other part of the fence:

img3969ti.jpg

And finally the porch junk scattered about:

img3971e.jpg

Does anyone know how much wind these transmission towers are designed to withstand? These pics are courtesy of Duke Energy taken somewhere in Gaston County. Usually trees are cut well away from being able to fall on transmission lines lie this so barring a tree was able to fall or some kind of structural flaw it must have been some extremely strong winds to have caused this. There are actually houses right next to these lines. I bet that was some kind of power flash and sound as they came crashing down. I sure it scared the crap out of the people living in that house.

post-962-0-67364200-1302119614.jpg

post-962-0-60102100-1302119669.jpg

post-962-0-12323200-1302119687.jpg

As planned, I took off for town on my bike yesterday hoping to get some pictures of any trees damaged by the wind from the severe thunderstorm that moved through here. Needless to say, a few of these are eye-popping. Check out the first two. A rather large tree falls onto the corner of a couple's home located just pass Garrison Blvd. on South York St. The city had to send out 3 trucks just to cut it down. The next few are from Lineberger Park which is on East Garrison if you're going east past the Bojangle's restaurant. If you haven't seen my video of the storm in action, check it out. Turn on annotations if it's off.

img3972r.jpgimg3973p.jpg

img3974li.jpg

brokentree.jpg

treeinpark.jpg

It was a disaster in eastern Cleveland County, probably the whole county, but my route took me along 180, north to south and there was damage literally every other house or so. I got tired of taking pics, but did get a few. I saw many barns or structures with metal roof that was blown up and nearly off, plenty of huge trees down at the edge of forests, and some big old trees either split in half or totally uprooted, and of course, plenty of damaged or totally destroyed Bradford Pears. The utility trucks are out daily and my brother just got power back on yesterday, so thats longer than most ice storms knock out power.

post-38-0-70254600-1302310647.jpg

post-38-0-43459800-1302310684.jpg

post-38-0-35092100-1302310729.jpg

post-38-0-29928300-1302310774.jpg

post-38-0-64908000-1302310811.jpg

post-38-0-29653500-1302310842.jpg

post-38-0-73789200-1302310880.jpg

It was a disaster in eastern Cleveland County, probably the whole county, but my route took me along 180, north to south and there was damage literally every other house or so. I got tired of taking pics, but did get a few. I saw many barns or structures with metal roof that was blown up and nearly off, plenty of huge trees down at the edge of forests, and some big old trees either split in half or totally uprooted, and of course, plenty of damaged or totally destroyed Bradford Pears. The utility trucks are out daily and my brother just got power back on yesterday, so thats longer than most ice storms knock out power.

post-38-0-73789200-1302310880.jpg

I hate it when the outhouse falls over. Bathroom FAIL.

I hate it when the outhouse falls over. Bathroom FAIL.

haha, but it was actually a rainshelte for kids wating on the bus a group of families pitched in to make last Autumn, right down the road from me. When they built it I had no idea what it was. I feel pretty lucky after seeing some trees on houses around here.

haha, but it was actually a rainshelte for kids wating on the bus a group of families pitched in to make last Autumn, right down the road from me. When they built it I had no idea what it was. I feel pretty lucky after seeing some trees on houses around here.

Bus Shed... Right. LOL. That's what they told the building inspector the outhouse was at the hippie farm in Chatham.

Took a drive to were those two transmission towers went down between Dallas, and High Shoals in Gaston County, NC just east of HWY 321. They had the road closed off so you really could not get close so I drove around the area. Seems there was a narrower band stronger winds where there was very heavy tree damage within the more general area of isolated or sporadic damage. Going down some of the roads you would come across about a width of 75 yards where several dozens of trees had fallen. Reminded me exactly of the tree damage after Hugo came through in 1989.

The 4th one is my personal favorite out of the 7 you have there. I don't think I've ever seen a tree split like that before. Such is the power of strong gusty winds. For the record, I would hate to be inside of that thing on the last picture when it fell over. I think I would suffer a heart attack haha. :lol:

Here's what it looked like from my balcony just before the squall swept through Miami:

Fantastic view there! I love how you can see the clouds hang over the city as it approaches. Must be living in the perfect spot to get this kind of shot from a balcony.

Archived