Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
One year ago tonight!

eyewall

What a difference a year makes!

That event will always haunt me forever. While receiving very heavy and beautiful snowfall that day, hardly did it ever accumulate due to ground temperatures being an issue, not to mention it was during the day. :axe: You folks further east (especially in places like Raleigh) got it good since nightfall was approaching then. I believe I ended up with nearly an inch on the ground. Nonetheless, I had enjoyed every moment of it and a nice way to end the winter with a fantastic show. My memory may be a tad fuzzy on the specifics that day but I know that some or a lot of us including myself had over-estimated on amounts in certain areas.

Remember how leading up to that, the QPF's forecasted in the models was 1.5-2"+ across most of Central and eastern NC? Several posters on easternuswx were thinking a repeat of March 1980. Very good event for the Sandhills, but 25 miles either side of Sanford, a dusting if you were lucky. I was quite disappointed waking up the next morning in Morrisville seeing a dusting, while a coworker that lives in Siler City was snowed in for 2 days. Very interesting and frustrating storm!

Remember how leading up to that, the QPF's forecasted in the models was 1.5-2"+ across most of Central and eastern NC? Several posters on easternuswx were thinking a repeat of March 1980. Very good event for the Sandhills, but 25 miles either side of Sanford, a dusting if you were lucky. I was quite disappointed waking up the next morning in Morrisville seeing a dusting, while a coworker that lives in Siler City was snowed in for 2 days. Very interesting and frustrating storm!

It was a crazy storm. I remember how maybe 5-7 days prior, it looked like it could be a historic snowstorm for many in NC, then it began trending to hell. However, the morning of the storm, some of the mesoscale models began pumping out significant QPF, which largely verified, I think. Unfortunately, for many areas such as GSO (where I was), the snow was very wet and fell primarily during the day, which kept accumulations down (2" in my case). Plus, for me, at least, the snow was never particularly heavy (It took almost three hours for the snow to even start to stick, which was frustrating). I don't think it ever even covered the sidewalk and driveway. However, areas near Sanford got in on same insane heavy, wet snow rates and, despite ground temperatures being pretty warm and the snow falling with temperatures in the mid-30s, it was so heavy that it stuck and piled up very quickly. If I recall, our poster NE GA got a pretty nice wet snow surprise from this one overnight.

Yeah this is the one we labeled the Big Dog :). The more accurate name was screwing the pooch :). When I got back to Southern Pines it was a dusting as that band didn't make this far south and it did not hit Raleigh either.

My avatar is from that snow storm. Wasn't it the one that the GFS had down in Cuba a couple days before? Asheville was supposed to be on the outside looking in. We ended up with about 7" from this due to moisture ending up further North than forecast & really nice ratios plus some flow snow on top of it. As Eyewall said.....What a difference!

epic fail here. However March 1st, 2009 is a different story :snowman: :snowman: :snowman:

it snowed and rained most of the day, mostly rain. Pure bad timing here , as it was snowing to our north, south, east and west and we warmed up just enough before the moisture got going and didnt' keep the column cool long enough. There were a couple heavy snow bursts, but at 39 degrees, it was slush at best.

My avatar is from that snow storm. Wasn't it the one that the GFS had down in Cuba a couple days before? Asheville was supposed to be on the outside looking in. We ended up with about 7" from this due to moisture ending up further North than forecast & really nice ratios plus some flow snow on top of it. As Eyewall said.....What a difference!

The Cuba storm was the one that hit in February I believe.

it snowed and rained most of the day, mostly rain. Pure bad timing here , as it was snowing to our north, south, east and west and we warmed up just enough before the moisture got going and didnt' keep the column cool long enough. There were a couple heavy snow bursts, but at 39 degrees, it was slush at best.

The Cuba storm was the one that hit in February I believe.

Thanks Robert, I knew it was one of them.

Archived