SUBSEQUENT ADDITIONAL/BACKBUILDING TYPE DEVELOPMENT IS EXPECTED

THROUGH THE DAY ALONG/AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT AS ACTIVITY

DEVELOPS/QUICKLY SPREADS EASTWARD TOWARD THE APPALACHIANS/SOUTHEAST

STATES. IN ALL...A BROAD AREA OF STRONG DEEP-LAYER FLOW/STRONG SPEED

SHEAR IS EXPECTED COINCIDENT WITH A SEASONALLY MOIST AND AT LEAST

MARGINALLY UNSTABLE WARM SECTOR. FAST-MOVING/WELL-ORGANIZED

QUASI-LINEAR/BOWING CONVECTION...IN ADDITION TO QUASI-DISCRETE OR

EMBEDDED SUPERCELLS...WILL SUPPORT THE POTENTIAL FOR WIDESPREAD

SWATHS OF DAMAGING WINDS AS WELL AS SOME TORNADOES.

I'll take it as well. Moderate has quite a ways to jump to get to us. Do you realistically think there's a chance it shifts THAT much?

I think it'll expand into central VA, probably stopping a little SW of Leesburg or just W of DC/RIC in the next update. Nowcasting tomorrow will determine just how far E it gets pushed.

Although.......

Ellinwood, maybe you can confirm this but from what I've read, SPC outlooks are based on climo severe probs for a given day. So a 30% risk isn't equal on Feb as it is in June. Meaning, the chances of severe within 25 miles of a point are higher climo speaking in June so it's harder to get 30% with the same kind of storm. Comparatively, in February since it's quite rare, a similar storm could produce higher probs.

I think it'll expand into central VA, probably stopping a little SW of Leesburg or just W of DC/RIC in the next update. Nowcasting tomorrow will determine just how far E it gets pushed.

Looking forward to the next SREF's. They've been pretty steadily increasing parameters save for a run here or there that cut back. I can't imagine they can increase much more :unsure:

Looking forward to the next SREF's. They've been pretty steadily increasing parameters save for a run here or there that cut back. I can't imagine they can increase much more :unsure:

they've gotta factor in climo to some degree. i think the main diff between the mod risk area and here is timing.. theirs might be slightly better, but we're close to perfect on that level as well.

the rare event where ellinwood and i are in lockstep... this could be a dangerous friendship. ;)

they've gotta factor in climo to some degree. i think the main diff between the mod risk area and here is timing.. theirs might be slightly better, but we're close to perfect on that level as well.

the rare event where ellinwood and i are in lockstep... this could be a dangerous friendship. ;)

I've been waiting all morning for the bickering to break out :thumbsup:

With you and Ellinwood in agreement we'll probably get wiped off the face of the Earth.

Very interesting to see a moderate at all in Feb, not all that common in the eastern parts of the states at this time of year.

Going to have to get back into the swing of things in terms of severe weather again, this is a nice little reminder!

Although.......

Ellinwood, maybe you can confirm this but from what I've read, SPC outlooks are based on climo severe probs for a given day. So a 30% risk isn't equal on Feb as it is in June. Meaning, the chances of severe within 25 miles of a point are higher climo speaking in June so it's harder to get 30% with the same kind of storm. Comparatively, in February since it's quite rare, a similar storm could produce higher probs.

That I couldn't tell you about either way, so I'm certainly glad that they're highlighting such a potentially significant event considering people may be caught unaware. If anything I would say that they're maybe quicker than they would be in the summer, but in the end they're going with a very reasonable outlook.

euro looks good -- nice spike of warmth .. shows 70+ to our west but that's likely 70+ across most of the area. looks like gametime starts a bit before 0z, drops a lot of qpf across the whole area -- everyone in this subforum 1"+ just about.

Does 500 track look good?

dont have vorts on maps but it looks maybe a bit south of the nam. maybe in between the nam and the gfs? it actually takes a suface reflection south of us tho it's more an elongated low i guess across the area. i guess maybe we get hit then a bit of a wave goes up the front. definitely a good signal all around for a solid thump of rain. im still not that sure we'll get any massive severe here but it looks like we'll get some decent storms which is a plus for feb either way.

Afternoon disco from LWX

MOST SIGNIFICANT THREAT MAY BE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM POTENTIAL.

SOUTHERLY LOW LEVEL JET WILL INCREASE IN VELOCITY TO OVER 50 KT EAST

OF APPALACHIANS...PROVIDING MORE THAN ADEQUATE SPEED SHEAR TO SUPPORT

ORGANIZED UPDRAFTS. WITH TEMPERATURES NEAR OR ABOVE 70F BY AFTERNOON

AND DEWPOINTS WELL INTO THE 50S...EVEN WITH MODEST SUNSHINE CAPE

INDICES MAY EXCEED 500 J/KG. SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED

TO APPROACH FROM THE WEST BY MID TO LATE MORNING...WITH ONGOING

SEVERE WEATHER POSSIBLE IN ASSOCIATION WITH THIS ACTIVITY AS IT

APPROACHES THE REGION. INSTABILITY PEAKS AS THE CONVECTION CROSSES

THE MID-ATLANTIC...AND SPC HAS CONTINUED A SLIGHT RISK OF SEVERE

THUNDERSTORMS FOR TOMORROW ACROSS THE ENTIRE CWA. JUST SW OF THE

CWA...AN UPGRADE TO MODERATE RISK HAS OCCURRED...CLOSER TO WHERE

MODELS INDICATE A SECOND AREA OF SURFACE LOW PRESSURE WILL DEVELOP

ALONG THE FRONT TOMORROW AFTERNOON...ENHANCING LIFT AND SHEAR

FURTHER. MAIN THREAT WITH CONVECTION WILL BE DAMAGING WINDS...THOUGH

ISOLATED QLCS TORNADOGENESIS IS POSSIBLE...AND MARGINALLY SEVERE

HAIL IS POSSIBLE IN THE STRONGEST UPDRAFTS.

Archived