• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Question from a curious mind

What would the average daily high temperature be in Washington DC if the Earth's revolution around the sun suddenly stopped on one of the equinoxes?

To answer this question in a serious manner (yeah I know, I'm spoiling the fun ;) ): It would probably be close to the average of the two equinoxes. So, probably in the mid to upper 60s. However, any significant changes in weather patterns brought about by the Earth's sudden stop would influence it strongly.

It would get warmer and warmer until the Earth crashed into the sun shortly thereafter.

Our radial velocity WRT the sun is what keeps us in orbit.

You mean tangential plus radial velocity. Radial is towards or away and represents the two forces in balance with the tangential which is perpendicular to the radius vector connecting the Sun and Earth. Sort of like Geostrophic flow except with no friction to cause inward spiralling. Otherwise, you are right with no velocity to maintain orbit, the Earth would crash into the Sun. Even if we were to spiral in, without orbital velocity at 1 AU, we would never accelerate enough for orbit velocity even closer and would still spiral into the Sun.

Steve

You mean tangential plus radial velocity. Radial is towards or away and represents the two forces in balance with the tangential which is perpendicular to the radius vector connecting the Sun and Earth. Sort of like Geostrophic flow except with no friction to cause inward spiralling. Otherwise, you are right with no velocity to maintain orbit, the Earth would crash into the Sun. Even if we were to spiral in, without orbital velocity at 1 AU, we would never accelerate enough for orbit velocity even closer and would still spiral into the Sun.

Steve

Sorry, yes. That's what I meant. :arrowhead:

Archived