• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
STATE RECORD LOW for OKLAHOMA Set Today!

Parshall, ND hit -60 on Feb 15th, 1936. Judging by the climo sites in central/western ND, their normal low for that time of year is probably in the upper single digits, so somewhere between a -65 and -70 departure.

Yeah, I was gonna say I'm pretty sure some places in Montana have seen -60+ departures before.

Parshall, ND hit -60 on Feb 15th, 1936. Judging by the climo sites in central/western ND, their normal low for that time of year is probably in the upper single digits, so somewhere between a -65 and -70 departure.

Good info...thanks.

Yeah, the normal low in Williston on 2/15 is 6F, and Minot (a bit further east) is 9F...so I'd say 7F is a reasonable middle ground.

That means a departure of -67 in Parshall on 2/15/1936. That's just ridiculous.

Any maps/reanalysis available from that day?

Good info...thanks.

Yeah, the normal low in Williston on 2/15 is 6F, and Minot (a bit further east) is 9F...so I'd say 7F is a reasonable middle ground.

That means a departure of -67 in Parshall on 2/15/1936. That's just ridiculous.

Can't compete with those 60s departures, but PWM's 55 on 2/16/43 (-39/norm 16) must be tops for east coast states. That record was set within field goal distance of salt water, too.

I've always wondered: how much of an effect does snowcover actually have, or more, does greater snowcover necessarily mean colder temp potential? I mean, is a 18" snowpack going to result in more cooling than a 6" one? Either way, everything is covered in snow pretty well...

Snow for infrared wavelengths is about the closest thing to a black body you'll find. That means it absorbs IR very well, but also emits it very well, much better than things like grass, soil, pavement, trees, and houses. This is why fresh snow cover contributes to very cold temperatures on a clear and calm night. It is exceptionally good at radiating at temperatures common where it exists (a black body radiates in IR frequencies at typical surface temperatures where snow cover exists ... say, -20 F to +32 F).

So, having 18 inches of snow cover will lead to more cooling than a few inches or maybe six inches. But I doubt that 24 or 30 inches would make much difference compared to 18 inches. There's probably a point where your returns diminish.

I suspect it would have only been -20 to -15 in northeastern Oklahoma that morning if there was no snow cover, as opposed to -30 to -25.

Archived