• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dogs getting sick from eating snow near roads.

cut

It is becoming apparent that peoples dogs may be getting sick from eating snow. The snow that has come from the road with the chemical that they use to "pretreat" before a snow storm. Has anyone else had this experience? We know of 2 families who had their dogs go from healthy 2 weeks ago to either dead or with spontaneous seizures.

I think that they just use a brine solution to pre-treat the roads AFAIK.

It is becoming apparent that peoples dogs may be getting sick from eating snow. The snow that has come from the road with the chemical that they use to "pretreat" before a snow storm. Has anyone else had this experience? We know of 2 families who had their dogs go from healthy 2 weeks ago to either dead or with spontaneous seizures.

I've thought about this before. My dog eats a lot of snow in the back yard, but he seems to have the sense to not eat the snow on the sides of roads when I'm out walking him. I always keep a close eye on him to make sure he doesn't try it, but he never does. Once we get back to the back yard, he starts eating the snow again.

There is plenty of oil and hydraulic fluids in snow that has been plowed from leaky vehicles and what not. Something to consider.

That is what my thought was. Kind of scary to think of what the melt water will do to the streams/rivers/lakes etc...

A neighbor's dog across the street from my parent's house in North Flushing, died last week suddenly. It was a healthy dog. The doctors dont know why the dog suddenly passed but eating snow or dirty salt is an option.

X 2 for my friends, healthy dogs in the prime of life. Went from healthy to dead in hours.

Archived