• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY / North Country Get-Together

Logan11

I have been giving this some thought and will throw out a few ideas....

This sub BB covers a large expanse of geographic territory so it may be a task to find a central location that allows for the most to attend. We can go two ways here:

1.) find the best central location for all involved

or

2.) schedule it more toward the CD or more toward Central NY, etc, or even more toward Northern NY (as in TG area). Then the next one would rotate to another region.

Or a bit of both............

IMO the geographic center (factoring in the # of contributors) of this sub BB is probably around Utica. So that is the area I have been thinking of if we lean toward #1. I realize that is still quite far for people from BUF or north of the border, but what can you do.....

That is just one idea.....others should chime in.

I have been giving this some thought and will throw out a few ideas....

This sub BB covers a large expanse of geographic territory so it may be a task to find a central location that allows for the most to attend. We can go two ways here:

1.) find the best central location for all involved

or

2.) schedule it more toward the CD or more toward Central NY, etc, or even more toward Northern NY (as in TG area). Then the next one would rotate to another region.

Or a bit of both............

IMO the geographic center (factoring in the # of contributors) of this sub BB is probably around Utica. So that is the area I have been thinking of if we lean toward #1. I realize that is still quite far for people from BUF or north of the border, but what can you do.....

That is just one idea.....others should chime in.

I know that would be an easy trip for me and a few others. There's not much left in Utica anymore. Rome is also much cleaner laugh.gif

Yeah I just mean that general region..... Utica does have have the Matt/Saranac Brewery and my Mom went on a 'Seniors' tour of that and liked it. I have never been....

The Brewery tour is pretty cool. Plus you get a free "sample" at the end of it.

You talking spring or summer or soon.

I read beer I'm in.

Actually I like this idea and then rotating it to other places over following ones. Keep in mind not everyone will make them for mitigating reasons. But I do think UCA is a good location for the first one. I'm in. MAybe we could have a snowmobiling GTG on the Tug. Oh wait they don't have a lot of LES my bad.

I pulled this off the website at the brewery.......

Now we might need an off site place as suggested unless they have some kind of restaurant/bar at the brewery.

Tours and Info

June - August

Mon. - Sat.

1 p.m. & 3 p.m.

Sept. - May

Fri. & Sat.

1 p.m. & 3 p.m.

Gift Shop Hours

Monday through Saturday

10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Closed Sundays and all major holidays.

Except for the summer months, we do request that you call in advance to make reservations for tours, which typically run 1 hour.*

*The F. X. Matt Brewing Company tour schedule is subject to change, without notice, due to plant construction. Feel free to call (800) 765-6288 to verify that tours will be conducted no earlier than 24 hours before you plan on visiting the Brewery. Thank You.

Tour cost: $5.00 per person, children 12 and under are free.

For more information, call: 315.732.0022 or 800.765.6288.

Directions: From the NYS Thruway (I-90) Exit 31 Take Genesee South Through Downtown to Court Street. Take a right and follow the aroma of fresh malts and hops to the corner of Court and Varick Streets. You're at the Brewery! Free parking is available.

The Brewery Shop

& Tour Center

830 Varick Street

Utica, NY 13502

You'll be our Tour Guide?

The brewery tour is very cool, lot of history there, one of first brewerys to run beer after prohibition. The mafia used to hijack half the loads coming out of there. Lots of neat antiques, they have one grandfather clock worth over a million dollars, you will also be surprised who they have brewed for.

Like The Real Deal said, there are a bunch of bars on Varick street. Pretty much all different kinds of places to suit most everyone.

I can take you guys on a guided tour of all the bad areas of Utica too if you'd like.

Is Peepers still open up there??

:thumbsup:

HAH I don't know if Andy is an x country skiier. I know he likes beer :popcorn: and I see that brewery makes lots soft drinks also so I'm good since I am not a huge beer fan. :) It just sounds like an interesting place.

I'd be up for us to doing a future get together that involves something like x country skiing, snow showing or hiking if in the warm season.

If this works out we can move them around and do one in the High Peaks or Tug area or even have one on the north side of the border for our

chatters in Ontario and Quebec. I'm partial to Parc National du Mont-Tremblant for snow snow shoeing/x country..

Sounds like a good time. When are we thinking? Maybe a short snowshoe hike would be fun.....before or after the beer :drunk:

HAH I don't know if Andy is an x country skiier. I know he likes beer :popcorn: and I see that brewery makes lots soft drinks also so I'm good since I am not a huge beer fan. :) It just sounds like an interesting place.

I'd be up for us to doing a future get together that involves something like x country skiing, snow showing or hiking if in the warm season.

If this works out we can move them around and do one in the High Peaks or Tug area or even have one on the north side of the border for our

chatters in Ontario and Quebec. I'm partial to Parc National du Mont-Tremblant for snow snow shoeing/x country..

Wise guy...I have X country skied and I snow shoe when I can. That's how I burn off the beer calories and keep trim. I refuse to become the quintessential Italian where age and waist size are one and the same. We actually have a great X-country trail here in GFL @ Crandall Park. Hiking is good too which I do in the warm season.

We also have a very good Microbrewery here in GFL with very good (pub) food too.

Like I said earlier I'm game for wherever we have the GTG. It would be fun.

Maybe one day we can have one in the Bronx! Take in a Yankee game and then afterward hit some of my old haunts along the way home

Guys/Girl.... I have been busy with work and down in NYC through tomorrow. But I'll be back this weekend and maybe we come up with an agreeable date + work out the logistics, etc. I would defer to the Utica area guys on a good bar/grill since... I like the Brewery Tour idea and then some nearby place.

I'll buy the first round

Guys/Girl.... I have been busy with work and down in NYC through tomorrow. But I'll be back this weekend and maybe we come up with an agreeable date + work out the logistics, etc. I would defer to the Utica area guys on a good bar/grill since... I like the Brewery Tour idea and then some nearby place.

There's only a few of us here I think. Once we get a date I can make some calls.

Maybe I will set up a poll on the best date for the Get-together - if I I can figure out how.

I'll throw out some possible dates - all on a Saturday because the Brewery Tours are Fridays and Saturdays at 1 and 3 PM this time of the year. I assume Friday would be a problem....

1.) February 26

2.) March 5

3.) March 12

We have a choice of the 1 PM or 3 PM tour. I really don't have a preference.

There's only a few of us here I think. Once we get a date I can make some calls.

Maybe I will set up a poll on the best date for the Get-together - if I I can figure out how.

I'll throw out some possible dates - all on a Saturday because the Brewery Tours are Fridays and Saturdays at 1 and 3 PM this time of the year. I assume Friday would be a problem....

1.) February 26

2.) March 5

3.) March 12

We have a choice of the 1 PM or 3 PM tour. I really don't have a preference.

Eww, March 5 and 12 are booked for me, not because I would deem myself to be overly busy, just that I happened to have plans already on those 2 particular dates. The cities of Syracuse and Utica also have their annual St Patty's Day festivities on March 12.

As far as the poll goes, I think these steps should lead to a good result...

1. Edit initial post

2. Select full editor

3. Manage topic poll

4. Type in a poll title

5. Select checkbox for public poll

6. Type in a poll question

7. Type in a date for each choice

8. Submit modified post

I think that should suffice, although it has been a while since I started a poll...

I could do it as late as the 19th ...though I wasn't looking to push it out that far. Feb. 26th is only two weeks out, but I'd be game.

March 26th and April 2nd I will be down south.....

Thx for the poll info. I'll wait until we have a few leading dates and then do a poll.

Eww, March 5 and 12 are booked for me, not because I would deem myself to be overly busy, just that I happened to have plans already on those 2 particular dates. The cities of Syracuse and Utica also have their annual St Patty's Day festivities on March 12.

As far as the poll goes, I think these steps should lead to a good result...

1. Edit initial post

2. Select full editor

3. Manage topic poll

4. Type in a poll title

5. Select checkbox for public poll

6. Type in a poll question

7. Type in a date for each choice

8. Submit modified post

I think that should suffice, although it has been a while since I started a poll...

Not many comments on the date here, but it seems to me we could look at three dates then:

March 5

March 19

March 26

March 12th (as noted) is their St. Parick's Day event so maybe that would be a problem....

I finalized my travel plans and won't be going to FL until the 28th so now the 26th would be ok for me.

Tonight I will try to set up a poll.

I think maybe in Feb. is a bit too close for some. Give people a month

or so to plan may be a little easier on all. Just my thoughts.

Archived