• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter snowfall thus far...

famartin

Blessed. 59" so far. Not quite Earthlight's 70", but pretty damn good. Had 23" on 12/26, 2.5" on 1/7, 8.5" on 1/11, 3.5" on 1/21, and 17.5" on 1/27, plus another 4" in small increments (some 1" or less snowfalls). Had 59" last year, also. We better damn well at least break 60" this year after the start we had, atlhough I did get 0.0" last year after the 2/26 snowstorm, so anything is possible.

We've really been blessed here in CNJ, basically the intersection of last year's hvy snows and this year's big snows. In 2009-10, the northern extent of the well above normal snows reached the NYC area, and this winter, the southern extent of the well above normal snows is about PHL-ACY northeastward. I had 72" last winter and likely headed for 60"+ this year, definitely the first time that's happened. Feels like NNE recently.

Yeah we have done pretty well here the last two years.....with 12/26 being the worse blizzard i have ever seen......that night out plowing and for the next 2 days i saw things that i will prob not see for a long time....like RU 59 here for the season...i go off his numbers as we live very close to one-another. His town is in the center of edison.

We've really been blessed here in CNJ, basically the intersection of last year's hvy snows and this year's big snows.

in the last year at my location, there have been 3 storms of 15"+

in the 25 years from 1970 to 1995, there were a total of 2 storms of 15"+

another staggering stat.... 9 storms of 14"+ in the last 10 years.

in the last year at my location, there have been 3 storms of 15"+

in the 25 years from 1970 to 1995, there were a total of 2 storms of 15"+

another staggering stat.... 9 storms of 14"+ in the last 10 years.

Trenton's 10 biggest snowstorms list are still mostly historic (since you chumps to the east have been hogging it all ;) )... only 2 of the top 10 occurred in the last 25 years.

However, 11-15 were all in the last 25 years :arrowhead:

Trenton's 10 biggest snowstorms list are still mostly historic (since you chumps to the east have been hogging it all ;) )... only 2 of the top 10 occurred in the last 25 years.

However, 11-15 were all in the last 25 years :arrowhead:

i live in east brunswick, but work in hightstown (for the last 5 years). even hightstown has been somewhat impacted by the "trenton snow gap." meaning..... one way or another, whether the big snows are in north jersey or south jersey, they manage to impact hightstown less. it's not dramatic, but it's noticeable.

i live in east brunswick, but work in hightstown (for the last 5 years). even hightstown has been somewhat impacted by the "trenton snow gap." meaning..... one way or another, whether the big snows are in north jersey or south jersey, they manage to impact hightstown less. it's not dramatic, but it's noticeable.

<:weenie:>

Until the Snow Bomb, I noticed the same here in Lower Bucks. Trenton even did better than me on Boxing Day.

I wonder if there is any reasoning, like how north of the Fall Line (which runs through Trenton) holds on to colder air longer in WAA set-ups, or if it's just bad luck.

But look at 3/1/2009, 12/19/2009, 2/6/2010, 12/26/2010 and you'll see what I mean. Even 2/10/2010 we got dryslotted while Drexel Hill was getting Thundersnow.

</:weenie:>

Oh and I love your sig btw

<:weenie:>

Until the Snow Bomb, I noticed the same here in Lower Bucks. Trenton even did better than me on Boxing Day.

I wonder if there is any reasoning, like how north of the Fall Line (which runs through Trenton) holds on to colder air longer in WAA set-ups, or if it's just bad luck.

But look at 3/1/2009, 12/19/2009, 2/6/2010, 12/26/2010 and you'll see what I mean. Even 2/10/2010 we got dryslotted while Drexel Hill was getting Thundersnow.

</:weenie:>

Oh and I love your sig btw

Trenton is just the local anti-snow. :arrowhead:

Prior to last year's wackiness, usually PHL would do worse than TTN, or at least just as bad. The way those storms cut off just north of PHL was simply weird.

58.7" in Holmdel this winter

Looks like you'll probably beat me this winter (assuming we get the same amounts the rest of the winter). Those minor events in early January must have given you more. I'm in the process of making NJ snow total maps back to the early 2000s, it's a project I hope to complete in a couple months. We've really had a special 10-11 years. What a great tim to be a winter lover.

Trenton is just the local anti-snow. :arrowhead:

Prior to last year's wackiness, usually PHL would do worse than TTN, or at least just as bad. The way those storms cut off just north of PHL was simply weird.

There must be some scientific explanation for it, maybe b/c they've been in the zone of subsidence immediately west of deformation bands? Many of our storms recently have tended to produce the strongest frontogenesis from I-95 east, then there's usually much weaker echos to the west, and then a slight increase in intensity further west.

There must be some scientific explanation for it, maybe b/c they've been in the zone of subsidence immediately west of deformation bands? Many of our storms recently have tended to produce the strongest frontogenesis from I-95 east, then there's usually much weaker echos to the west, and then a slight increase in intensity further west.

I drive from freehold to Princeton area for work over the last 10 years more often than not there is a precipitous drop in snow fall just before Hightstown and well within Plainsboro area snowfall depts then increase slightly as I enter Somerset county just a few miles north of Princeton. There were some occasions like Dec and Jan 2009 when due to boundary layer issues the coastal counties mixed more, however all MECs events, except Dec 30 2000 and Feb 2006, Monmouth Co did far better then these western locations. Most recently, Feb 10, 2010 and Jan 27 - 28 both areas did about the same. Dec 5 - 6, 2003, PD II, Jan 23-24, 2005, Mar 1-3, 2009, Dec 19 2009, Feb 5-6, 2010, Feb 25-26, 2010 and Dec 26-27 2010 all snowed at least 3" more minimum and 15" more, Dec 26 27. What's unusual too is that during smaller events, under 6". The western counties seemed to do better than eastern by a few inches. Even more strange is the all or nothing effect. The last under 10" snowfall and over 2" snowfall has not occured since Feb 3rd 2009. That's weird. Perhaps there's is some scientific anomaly or could just be part of this snowball pattern trend?

I drive from freehold to Princeton area for work over the last 10 years more often than not there is a precipitous drop in snow fall just before Hightstown and well within Plainsboro area snowfall depts then increase slightly as I enter Somerset county just a few miles north of Princeton. There were some occasions like Dec and Jan 2009 when due to boundary layer issues the coastal counties mixed more, however all MECs events, except Dec 30 2000 and Feb 2006, Monmouth Co did far better then these western locations. Most recently, Feb 10, 2010 and Jan 27 - 28 both areas did about the same. Dec 5 - 6, 2003, PD II, Jan 23-24, 2005, Mar 1-3, 2009, Dec 19 2009, Feb 5-6, 2010, Feb 25-26, 2010 and Dec 26-27 2010 all snowed at least 3" more minimum and 15" more, Dec 26 27. What's unusual too is that during smaller events, under 6". The western counties seemed to do better than eastern by a few inches. Even more strange is the all or nothing effect. The last under 10" snowfall and over 2" snowfall has not occured since Feb 3rd 2009. That's weird. Perhaps there's is some scientific anomaly or could just be part of this snowball pattern trend?

As for science, I wouldn't be surprised if it has something to do with the above normal SST, s 100 - 200mi off the coast creating a baroclinic zone that sets up the persistent banding over eastern and southern counties, relatively speaking.

As for science, I wouldn't be surprised if it has something to do with the above normal SST, s 100 - 200mi off the coast creating a baroclinic zone that sets up the persistent banding over eastern and southern counties, relatively speaking.

January 11th?

January 11th?

True, I left that one out, both freehold and skillman and TTN i believe had between 9 and 10 for that one so, yes pretty much the same on that one too, but not sure if that one qualifies as a MECs for CNJ, overall a KU 3 but only a few locals reported 10+ west of the Hudson.

True, I left that one out, both freehold and skillman and TTN i believe had between 9 and 10 for that one so, yes pretty much the same on that one too, but not sure if that one qualifies as a MECs for CNJ, overall a KU 3 but only a few locals reported 10+ west of the Hudson.

Actually I was saying that was one of those moderate events... mostly 6-9 inches in the area you described...

post-39-0-06767000-1297231563.gif

post-39-0-72286800-1297231572.gif

Looks like you'll probably beat me this winter (assuming we get the same amounts the rest of the winter). Those minor events in early January must have given you more. I'm in the process of making NJ snow total maps back to the early 2000s, it's a project I hope to complete in a couple months. We've really had a special 10-11 years. What a great tim to be a winter lover.

Yea the difference was likely the January 21st event as you were mostly rain and I had about 3" with a rain mix glancing through my town for about 5 mins during the height of the storm..Also, I'm not sure how well you did with the first part of the 26-27th event. About 4" up here though and I understand SE portions of the county got maybe 2" because of more marginal temps? I also talked to my friend in Howell during the ridiculously heavy part 2 and he claimed to not have nearly as much snow as up here.

Yea the difference was likely the January 21st event as you were mostly rain and I had about 3" with a rain mix glancing through my town for about 5 mins during the height of the storm..Also, I'm not sure how well you did with the first part of the 26-27th event. About 4" up here though and I understand SE portions of the county got maybe 2" because of more marginal temps? I also talked to my friend in Howell during the ridiculously heavy part 2 and he claimed to not have nearly as much snow as up here.

Yeah, that was probably it. To be honest I don't remember what I measured for the first part of event, but 4" sounds about right. Post 6pm we hd the longest duration hvy snow I've ever seen. Came down at 2-3"/hr rates for several hours w/ the best frontogenesis aligning from NE NJ to Monmouth. Echos were 35 dbz at one point.

Howell's a pretty big township, with the furthest south part of the town about 40 minutes from my house. I'm up near Delicious Orchards, rt 34/537 if you're familar with that area.

Yeah I wonder if it had to do w/ the overal trend SE in mean storm tracks we've seen over the past 10-15 years. Back in the 90s I think most storms were pretty similar TTN versus Monmouth County, but since 2000, we seemed to have really pulled away from them w/ more coastal lows.

I think January 21st helped close that gap a bit more, too... though there was a bit of a gap between Trenton and Monmouth...

Yes, that one was pretty much busted here, that is south and east of Rt 522, that event bi- sected Freehold with rain and snow and under 2" IMBY but just two miles north and west saw all snow or just a brief change over.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived