• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Concord, NH Snowfall Mystery? How Much Fell on 2/2?

donsutherland1

If one examines the latest daily climate reports and CF6, one finds "M" in the place for daily snowfall for 2/2 at Concord, NH:

Concord02032011.jpg

Without a good measurement having been furnished, the question then becomes how much will ultimately be estimated to have fallen.

Some clues:

1. Snow cover increased from 19" on 2/1 to 24" on 2/2. Some compacting very likely occurred. Some blowing of snow also occurred.

2. 2/2 precipitation was 0.71". A share of the precipitation included a brief period of sleet.

3. When the storm started on 2/1, snowfall ratios were 10:1.

4. Nearby locations saw figures from 5.5" (SSE of Concord) to 7.0" (SSW of Chichester).

Assuming that the ratios were generally unchanged when the heaviest snow was falling, an average of 6.25" basically on a line running somewhat to the east of Concord where more sleet mixed in, and allowing for some compacting, all the data suggests a snowfall estimate will come in somewhere in the vicinity of 6.5" +/- 1" for 2/2. That would produce a storm total in the vicinity of 9.2"-11.2".

In the end, it will be interesting to see what estimate is finally given.

Don,

I got 3.5 inches from round 1 on 2/1 and 9 inches from round 2 on 2/2. I think Brian (Dendrite) was an inch lower in the total..think he reported 8 or 8.5 for round 2. It is reasonable to think CON got 7-8 on 2/2. Bobbutts lives in Bow, very near CON and similar elevation. He might have obs in the NNE thread or Obs thread.

Don,

I got 3.5 inches from round 1 on 2/1 and 9 inches from round 2 on 2/2. I think Brian (Dendrite) was an inch lower in the total..think he reported 8 or 8.5 for round 2. It is reasonable to think CON got 7-8 on 2/2. Bobbutts lives in Bow, very near CON and similar elevation. He might have obs in the NNE thread or Obs thread.

Thanks for those figures, Mark. My guess for the estimate that will be applied might be a little low, but the upper part of the range could be in the ballpark. It will be interesting to see what figure is given.

The estimate for Concord's 2/2 snowfall has now been added to the F-6. That figure is 5.7", which falls at the low-end of my guessed range of 6.5" +/- 1" for the 2/2 estimate.

add the 0.6" from 2/3 to that and it is 6.3", which is pretty close. it seems a bit low, but close enough I suppose.

funny thing about the 0.6" they have on 2/3, where I am the snow ended by midnite on 2/2. I don't think I got anything after midnite on 2/3

add the 0.6" from 2/3 to that and it is 6.3", which is pretty close. it seems a bit low, but close enough I suppose.

funny thing about the 0.6" they have on 2/3, where I am the snow ended by midnite on 2/2. I don't think I got anything after midnite on 2/3

I think they did the best they could to estimate the snowfall, perhaps erring on the side of understating rather than overstating the figure and perhaps relying more heavily on changes in snow depth than nearby local reports, which, themselves could be subject to measurement issues/lack of quality control. Even if the figure might be a bit low, I believe it is reasonable.

I had 7.9" on 2/2, but I can see how they had a little less than me based on the mixing. And I had only a T after midnight as well...so the 0.6" seems wrong.

The 0.6" measured after 2/2 may well be part of the larger measurement problem that led to the estimate's having been necessary on 2/2. It could well be questionable.

Archived