• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Official Personal Weather Station Thread

I have a Davis Weather Vantage Pro II with Wireless Leaf & Soil Moisture/Temperature.

CW2046 - http://weather.glads....net/site/C2046 (currently off as I cannot get VWS to send consistant data)

http://www.weathersh...Vantage_Pro.htm

http://www.wundergro...sp?ID=KNCHILLS5

Software being run:

VirtualVP - "shim" program so the VWS and weatherlink can run at same time

Davis Weatherlink

VWS Internet

I have a Davis Vantage Vue.

I currently use Virtual Weather Station (VWS) version 14.01 p25 from Ambient Weather for all of the live website updates.The site uses a combination of 4 second data uploads that are read by an AJAX javascript that runs on any of the web pages that displays "Current Conditions". There are automated scripts that run to display advisories, watches and warnings, and those will be displayed below the menu at the top of most of the main pages. VWS also sends my weather data to Wunderground.com, Hamweather.com, and CWOP (Citizen Weather Observation Program) (see below). Weather Link v5.9 is the Davis software that was used in the setup of the console. I have installed VirtualVP software that allows multiple weather station software packages to communicate simultaneously with the Vue. StartWatch manages the loading and monitoring of all my weather applications for problems and freezes. I also use Weather Display to add additional functionality and data to the web site. I also use software from WXMesg.com called Weather Message. It allows us to receive and re-transmit weather watches, warnings, advisories and other weather related messages directly from the EMWIN (Emergency Management Weather Information Network) service from the National Weather Service direct to your inbox, Twitter, and Facebook (mine is setup to do all three). Weather-Dispay uploads current conditions every minute to a SQL database. I have multiple cron scripts downloading all kinds of stuff... I don't even remember without going to look.

My data goes to all of these places:

Weather Underground (Station KGADACUL3) - Featured site for Dacula - with "Rapid Fire"

Southeastern Weather Network - Member

AWEKAS - Automatic Weather Map System Member

Citizen Weather Observer Program (CWOP) (DW3642)

CoCoRaHS (GA-GW-29)

National Weather Service Atlanta - Listed on the NWS Atlanta site (D3642)

Much more on my About page

• 1 month later...

I have a Davis Weather Vantage Pro II with Wireless Leaf & Soil Moisture/Temperature.

CW2046 - http://weather.glads....net/site/C2046 (currently off as I cannot get VWS to send consistant data)

http://www.weathersh...Vantage_Pro.htm

http://www.wundergro...sp?ID=KNCHILLS5

Software being run:

VirtualVP - "shim" program so the VWS and weatherlink can run at same time

Davis Weatherlink

VWS Internet

So, I am having problems gathering data from the ISS for the past few days. Seems intermittant though, like the wind blows and the radio stops working. Any suggestions on a fix?

I've got a VP2 serving faithfully since 2005. Also thats when I started my site CNYWeather.com

Added a rain gauge heater, solar sensor & lightning detector. Plus the most popular pages

besides the home page are the streaming webcams. Amazing the emails I get from so many

displaced former Central NY'ers who enjoy seeing the snow from far away.

laugh.gif

I'm putting the beginnings on another live weather site for Syracuse, NY area too.

Got a sister who lives nearby who'll let me put a station at her place.

I have three wires to keep tension on the pole my weather station is mounted on. I came out one day and one wire had been ripped out of the ground and the stake was thrown 10 feet. Something big ran into it for sure.

Glad it's working for you.

Damn. mine is on a galvanized rod which fits over a copper rod driven into the dirt. My wind gauge needs a taller pole though.

Damn. mine is on a galvanized rod which fits over a copper rod driven into the dirt. My wind gauge needs a taller pole though.

I even reported a little rain from that hit! Must have really rocked it!

I use a 10' galvanized fence pole that's buried about a foot and a half in the ground. The pole is filled with sand and concrete and secured with 3 wires. I wish I had your VP2+, I'd love to have a wireless anemometer above my roof.

I even reported a little rain from that hit! Must have really rocked it!

I use a 10' galvanized fence pole that's buried about a foot and a half in the ground. The pole is filled with sand and concrete and secured with 3 wires. I wish I had your VP2+, I'd love to have a wireless anemometer above my roof.

It is nice... the leaf wetness and soil temp sensors are nice too.

A VP2+ will be my next major investment. I want the whole thing.

Same here! I could kick my own butt! lol. Don't get me wrong, the Vue is nice; just that those extras on the pro's are neat.

Anyhow, I have the Vantage Vue and a couple older lacrosse stations; 2310 and 2317 for backup.

• 1 month later...

Excellent placement of the Davis and CoCoRaHS gauge on a white post ;)

(in case you are wondering - yes, my wind readings suck and no, there is no good alternative available :()

Yeah I'm not expecting much out of the wind readings either. My dad offered to get a pole but with the trees around the readings would still suck, and then the station would be a lightning rod :lightning:

http://www.weatherli.../user/briani78/

http://www.wxug.com/...p?ID=KNHBEDFO10

Davis VP2 w/ 24hr FARS, weatherlink 5.9.3. 5 miles W of MHT.

Wind inst mounted around 30' above sfc.

radarfind.png

p1010012qr.jpg

Do you get decent wind readings?

Trees around me are > 30' by a long shot.. when I had an anemometer up it was a fraction of kcon all summer and iced most of the winter.. One of the main reasons I gave up on measuring anything beyond temp and humidity. Still have my Lacrosse 2310 running, but disconnected it from the internet (pita to dedicate pc) and disconnected the rain gauge and anemometer since they were next to useless.

Trees around me are > 30' by a long shot.. when I had an anemometer up it was a fraction of kcon all summer and iced most of the winter.. One of the main reasons I gave up on measuring anything beyond temp and humidity. Still have my Lacrosse 2310 running, but disconnected it from the internet (pita to dedicate pc) and disconnected the rain gauge and anemometer since they were next to useless.

Rain gauges are hard to maintain since most are tipping buckets and easily get clogged by organic debris. Plus in winter, they're not reliable at all. Wind, also, is hard to measure in a suburban or urban environment as there are far too many obstructions. That's why airports will always be the best places to measure wind... they're about the only areas which are clear of obstructions for large distances, especially in areas which are naturally forested.

Main reason I got the Davis was for temperature and humidity as you mentioned. The tipping bucket is interesting, but obviously since I have two manual gauges right next to it, its not something I'm relying on in the least.

Well, the anemometer readings are low due to the interference and friction, however it is very sensitive and is very accurate - so those nights where winds do not decouple here, but do in the valley, it is picked up nicely as a 2-3mph breeze while valley sits at calm.

I would say wind readings are decent as mounted - probably around 60% of reality. If I mounted the thing any higher it'd be a lightning rod, for sure. 2nd highest house on the hill... so it is a good balance.

Archived