Jump to content

mattie g

Members
  • Posts

    14,659
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by mattie g

  1. I could do without the nor’easter backing up like it looks like it’ll do. Neighborhood Oktoberfest with a great live band was setting up to take place on a glorious late-September Saturday…just hoping the rain holds off until after 7:00 pm when the party ends!

    • Like 1
  2. On 8/21/2026 at 9:13 AM, MN Transplant said:

    For years my backyard has died out and I've always blamed myself for not keeping up with watering.  Well, despite the crappy early season I did keep the yard in reasonable shape only to conclusively determine that it has been dying out due to dog pee.  At this point, with two big dogs, I view much of the yard as an annual and re-seeding is just part of the game.

    We’ve got a dog who likes to whizz on the grass rather than on bushes or our fence, so we’ve got those dead spots, as well.

    I plan to get at the lawn during the second or third weekend of September. It’ll be the first time I’ve really done anything to it in quite a few years, so we’ll see what happens.

  3. 2 hours ago, toolsheds said:

    I feel Sorry for you.  But you are right, has to be better.  I've been a United Man, but they frustrate me too.  My son is a huge Chelsea fan.  Hopefully they all stick it to Arsenal this year. 

     

    shutterstock_editorial_3652572b-scaled.j

    • Like 1
  4. 2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

    Sod is immediate satisfaction, but if the rest of the yard needs work, and you’re already committed to aerating and seeding the existing lawn, I’d go the seed route.  Totally bare areas that have been covered tend to respond well to seeding.

    That makes sense. I agree that sod scratches that need for satisfaction, but I’d like to try to make it work with seeding it.

    Just need to keep the dog off of it! :lol:

    • Like 1
  5. 2 hours ago, toolsheds said:

    Premier league starts tomorrow for those of you who enjoyed the World Cup. 

    Strange to have a Friday game to kick off the season, but I’ll take it.

    Spurs fan here…can’t be any worse than last year!

  6. As for lawns, I’ve got a huge bare spot in my backyard where we’ve had a 14’ diameter trampoline since Christmas. Trying to figure out if I want to try to fix it with seeding or go the sod route.

    The rest of the back lawn is a bit of a mess, so I’ll be aerating, laying down topsoil in spots, and overseeding to try to tidy it up.

  7. On 8/15/2026 at 12:15 PM, WxUSAF said:

    I saw a ton of nymphs last month but far fewer adult flies. Obvious assumption is that something figured out they were good eating 

    Have done some reading about this, and it seems that they like trees of heaven, which smell like shit and apparently make the lanternflies taste like shit. If an area doesn’t have too many of those trees, then the bugs are more readily predated upon.

    Sounds plausible to this non-entomologist.

    • Like 1
  8. 2.13" yesterday at the closest CoCoRaHs. We've missed out quite a bit recently, so that was a very welcome win.

    Nice little downpour, as well, with that line a couple hours ago.

    • Like 3
  9. Damn...just realized that I hadn't created this thread like I normally do from year to year.  :unsure:

    Garden is OK this year. L:eafy vegetables and herbs are doing great and my jalapenos are killer. Tomatoes are less than good. I got them started late and planted them a little later than ideal when they were smaller than I would normally plant them. I'm also noticeably not getting quite as much sun as in years past with neighbors' trees growing really tall and wide at this point, so that certainly can't help.

    • Like 2
  10. 11/30: Mix of sleet and light rain for a couple hours before switching to light cold rain.

    12/2: Mix early in the morning before flipping to hard, cold rain.

    12/5: 2.25”. 2” in the man event and 0.25” later that evening/overnight.

    12/13: 1.25”

    1/17-18: T - An hour or so of sleet/flurries on the 17th and very light snow on the 18th

    1/25: 9.25" - 5" of snow overnight followed by all-day pounding sleet

    2/7: 0.25” - Clipper? Frontal passage?

    2/22-2/23: 3.25" Rain flipped to a decent snow

    3/2: 1.00"

    3/12: 1.50" Really impressive flip to heavy snow after cold front bombed through (40-degree drop in 24 hours)

    Running Total: 18.75”

    • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...