Jump to content

rclab

Members
  • Posts

    3,624
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by rclab

  1. A wonderful Video memory. I was living on 75th Street right off 11th Avenue. I was 14 and like you did not have to use sunscreen on my head. The folks, so natural, the decorations, lights on the house. The quadruple headlights on our space age designed cars. A wonderful time. Thank you, as always .......
  2. “Ignorance is Bliss”. What happens when the laughter dies? For a graphic non scientific example you can go to a classic bit performed by the late comic, Lou Costello. No, not “Whose on first”. Instead it’s when Lou, alone, was in a frightening situation and he began laughing. He laughed even while interacting with the danger. His laughter continued but it slowly, with dawning awareness, transitioned into tears. As always ......
  3. For your viewing pleasure Sw. The classifieds, only one showed seasonal room/house rentals in Westchester. Another page housing and acreage ads. An article on the death of Babe Ruth. Movies of that time on another page. Finally my favorite Bohack adds. Tenderloin butts (75 cents a pound) was more than Prime Rib (69 cents a pound) I also remember that part of the tin mans leg, in the movie version of The Wiz, was a Bohack coffee can. Unc, I was hoping to find an A&P ad, haven’t yet. As always....
  4. Unc, if your mom, bless her, was out during the December 1948, 19.7 inc storm, it doesn’t matter, that’s how you got started. As always....
  5. It’s okay, any excuse to put it off is fine with me. I do miss my lost love. She made it look so easy.Seventh grade in 49, you are blessed and my hero. As always ....
  6. IF I find the rental ads, I let you know. As always
  7. For those of who bear the entire responsibility for food purchase, this should bring make one wish there was a time portal to a now defunct 1948 Safeway supermarket. i was amazed (see lower right hand corner) that chicken ai 63 cents a pound was only 2 cents less than sirloin. Post WW2 years and the baby boom ramping up, a time forgotten. As always.....
  8. I was having necessary work done in the halls of my row house. The carpenter came down to my apartment and handed me an assortment of papers dated December 1948 and January 1949. Being over 70 years old their condition was, at best, fragile. The photos below came from the Sunday Daily News, December 26th, 3 cents. I believe today’s Sunday paper is 3 dollars. What caught my eye was two articles which I placed together in the first photo. In the main article the reporter gave a first person description of the over two foot storm that had occurred on that very day, the year before. He compared It to the 19.5 Inch storm that occurred in NYC a week or so before that, saying it’s effect on the city paled compared to the 1947 storm. The small article next to it (Upper right hand corner) relates the bust of a major snow that was forecast for that day. This is probably why the recap of the 1947 event was written. The second photo is a page from the same paper and date highlighting the headlines of 1948. I have no memory of either he 47 or 48 events, as I was 8 montes and 20 months old when they occurred. You never know what you’ll find when you start doing repairs in a time capsule. As always ...
  9. No argument on either LB. The Pharmaceuticals industry needs adult supervision on the severe side. As always ......
  10. Apparently climate change can be added to the topics that should be avoided if a civil discussion is desired. All of us are entitled to our opinions and a respectful listening. I find the ease of generic labeling based on an opinion troubling. If all voices cannot be heard respectfully than we are already living in Mr. Simons World. “Hello darkness my old friend”. As always ....
  11. The city or the threats? As always ......
  12. Great photo. The straws are interesting. I guess they are a safer alternative to the chug a lug. Used in a glass they would certainly curb the incidence of foam beard. As always....
  13. Dickens/Scrooge had his four spirits that led to and ended with a path to redemption. We also have four but they are all horsemen and redemption is not their plan. “-Gray, unhealthy air. A blood red sun. Flakes falling from the sky, coating everything below in a layer of white.. not snow but ash” The above line could have easily been a paraphrase from Dante’s Devine Comedy. Our play will end some day the last sentient being, perhaps named Tonio, will ruefully expire, crying out “The Comedy Is Finished” as always .....
  14. Thank you again Don. The old verbiage that a picture is worth a thousand words certainly applies here. After viewing this graphic presentation, I wonder if we have a thousand words left. As always....
  15. Amazing, I wonder how long it will take the fIrst commercial venture, that sees good ($$) In any condition, to advertise romantic cruises to the pole under the midnight sun. As always .....
  16. I remember as a very young man trying to reconcile the spiritual with the scientific. Two powerful “S” words. When did we become human? One scenario that stuck with me was a piece that described a living creature standing on a moonless dark plain or savannah, looking up at a sky filled with stars and wondering. At that moment the selection stated humanity began. Ironically, some time later I came upon an illustration by a spiritual publication and it showed a similar scene with a person staring at the stars. The caption read. “The fool says in his heart, there is no God”. The phrase, albeit, the first nine words resonates with me today and can be applied to many of our collective secular or non situations. I remain with the sad truth that still, “ The fool says in his heart there is no ............”. As always .......
  17. Machines that make machines to be sold by machines for the use of other machines. The common persons final contribution, of course, Soylent Green. As always .....
  18. Self investment, absolutely. Revised/additional color neutral hat slogan MAGAMA (Make America Great At Manufacturing Again) As always .....
  19. Conceptually and demonstrably a cold month in the NNE. Still, being out side of even the meteorological defined winter, it would have to be a below normal late fall month. As always ...
  20. For the sometimes snowless five boroughs it’s the anticipation of the first event. It seems even a chance of snow flurries can be hyped to biblical proportions. Our city’s reaction is also an over or under proposition. At times the depth of the salt will surpass the depth of the event. Other times everyone is screaming for the spreader. What is Usually left, in our UHI paradise, is a slush shovel Festival before the inevitable overnight freeze. I enjoy hearing the squealing laughter of the young ones playing in whatever falls. If I’m fortunate and the frozen precipitation continues Into the daylight hours I wander into my postage stamp, standing alone and pondering all my loses. I look up to the shrouded grey sky and wait for a flake to touch my face and melt. When that happens everything, for me, becomes good again. As always ....
  21. A day of reckoning eventually comes for all of us. As always .......
  22. I imagine the implications may become personal for many when the task of pumping and sandbagging become every day tasks. As always ....
  23. By 2050 my postage stamp will be part of a wetlands area. Considering the Greenland and Antarctica conditions, the finger in the dyke mentality may have already gone on too long. Thank you, Don, as always .....
  24. Well stated. Everything gets a name including winter storms. Pretty soon T storms of varying intensity will be named. Just think of a weather alert announcing “take cover, Chip and Dale” approaching NYC Metro, As always .....
  25. Draw a line through the middle and the direction is obvious and for the last few years seems to be accelerating. To use the words of an often maligned, sometimes controversial Professional Meteorologist and part time Philosopher. “ The Trend Is Your Friend”. As always ....
×
×
  • Create New...