• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northern MI plastered and buried in postcard-worthy Snow

Took a 3.5 hour drive to northern MI on Friday to spend a weekend in the deep snow. And Ma Nature didnt disappoint! They got about a foot of wet snow Friday night (complete with thundersnow), atop already deep, sense snow. This left a snowpack of 20-33" (depending where measured) that was ridiculously dense (wish I had a core sample). It was like walking through 2+ feet of quicksand. Its impossible to have a more picturesque snowfall either, the only downside was that many trees fell as a result of the heavy snow. Went to a family friends place and he had two snowstorms to clear out of his drive (Wed & Fri) which was a packed 16-17" of frozen dense snow so heavy it actually broke his snowplow lol. While this was Graylings deepest snow in a few years (ironically snow last winter peaked at a lower depth than it did in metro-Detroit)....the locals said they cant remember a storm that was this deep of dense/wet/scenic snow.

Here are a TON of pics. Starting with Friday afternoon as the storm was just about to move in, and ending with my final romps in the beautiful Sunday afternoon.

3098-800.jpg

3099-800.jpg

Looks like it at first, but true cement snow doesn't glisten like that in the sun. I guess the bottom layer probably is cement, but there is a nice top layer of fluff based off his pics.

Oh, it was cement to the fullest. Actually it was the deepest cement Ive ever seen. My previous closest to this would be the Feb 21/22, 2010 storm that dropped 7.7" of cement imby. And of course Ive had many 1-3/2-4" cements, but usually that much snow is powder.

The sparkly pics you see are from Sunday morning, had 0.1" of snow overnight Sat night JUST to give the top layer of snow a sparkle. Coincidentally the temps had plummeted so the cement froze. It was crazy!

Nice pics, but I'm really glad that's in Michigan and NOT Eastern PA!!! :devilsmiley:

Its not even in all of Michigan! I didnt want to leave, LOL wanted to bring it home with me. Driving I-75 when leaving Grayling in 45 minutes the snow depth went from 24"+ to a T. The only snow you will find in metro-Detroit is old dirty plow piles in parking lots, completely bare ground. Ive only had 25.4 inches of snow all winter imby. For comparison, last winter I had 69.4", and since Ive been measuring IMBY since 1995, my least snowy winter has been 27.2" in 1997-98 (most was 82.1" in 2004-05). For Detroit, though it was the 6th warmest winter on record, at 25.9" of snow its already just the 22nd least snowy winter on record, and thats not accounting for anymore Mar/Apr snow. So while this will never be a winter thats looked at for snow-futility, it is definitely one to forget.

Archived