• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Signs of Summer - 2015 version

JTA66

Nice photo.  I saw a doe with two young uns like that one, yesterday.

Tonight, the first katydid of the summer here was yakking in a nearby tree.  Funny to hear it on a cool evening.  Summer's moving along.

Thanks! There were two with this doe as well, the other one was hanging back a bit. Interestingly the mom of this doe (who was born 2 years ago) was up about 20 minutes earlier with her two new fawns. She's now a grandma :-).

No katydids here yet, cicadas have become more noticeable.

First the cicadas, now the cicada bee's nests are popping up on the lawn. They're nasty looking, but from what I've read they're harmless to people -- I think only the females have stingers and they only use them on the cicadas.

Grass has stopped growing finally this last week and did skip a cut. Brown patches along the edges but surprisingly green despite less than 1" of rain in almost a month in peak summer.

Been so busy watering the garden I forgot about the side flower bed which I never have to water typically. Flowers and roses got torched :( alas the last three rain misses wreaked havoc

• 2 weeks later...

Okay when was the last time The Cape Verde was hit byva hurricane??? It's about to happen. Fred looks pretty well put together out there and looks to have a eye already. I just dont remember the last time Cape Verde Islands were hit I believe its rare?

Paul Pastelok at Accuwx states this is only the 3rd hurricane to effect the Cape Verde Islands ... so yeah, it's a rare event. 

I believe yesterday was the hottest temp at PHL so far this year. I wonder when was the last time Philly recorded the highest temp of the season so late? And what's the latest date it ever occured?

In 2015, the hottest temperature so far is 96 at PHL on September 3rd.  Outside of September, the hottest temperature was 95 in June and July.

In 1989, the hottest temperature was 94 at PHL, which occurred in June, July, August and on September 10th. 

In 1970, the hottest temperature was 95 on September 23rd and 24th.  Outside of September, the hottest temperature was 92 in May.  This was the latest date on record for the annual maximum.

In 1939, the hottest temperature was 96 on September 8th.  Outside of September, the hottest temperature was 95 in June.

In 1932, the hottest temperature was 97 on September 1st.  Outside of September, the hottest temperature was 95 in August.

In 1927, the hottest temperature was 95 on September 15th.  Outside of September, the hottest temperature was 94 in June.

In 1897, the hottest temperature was 96 on September 10th and 11th.  Outside of September, the hottest temperature was 94 in July.

In 1881, the hottest temperature was 102 on September 7th.  Outside of September, the hottest temperature was 99 in August.

Archived