Photo

Hurricane Carol Pictures 1954, Duxbury Ma

Hurricane Duxbury

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

amarshall

• 937 posts
  • Joined December 7, 2010

We've been going through my grandfather's slides and getting them digitally scanned. We came across some cool Hurricane Carol photos from Duxbury Ma. Many of the locations where the pictures are, are now mulit-million dollar houses. I'm thinking the damage would be much worse now.

My grandfather owned 10 acres on Saquish beach and sold them after carol. You can see the breach picture of how close Duxbury beach came to be wiped out of existence. My grandfather promptly sold his acreage on Saquish beach for pennies on the dollar. The current going rate on Saquish beach is $1million per acre. Thanks Grampy.

I also included a couple of winter photos so you can see just what a real winter looks like.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We think this a ship that grounded on Duxbury beach and they're attempting to remove crewmembers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Duxbury beach nearly gone.

Posted Image

Finally some winter pictures of what a real winter looks like

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

mayjawintastawm

• 420 posts
  • Joined December 8, 2010

Nice. My mother always talked about the Carol-Edna sequence and some of the winters that followed. Wish I had been around for those!

CoastalWx

• 74,237 posts
  • Joined November 11, 2010

Winter of Jan 2004 probably surpassed those. I saw massive glacier boulders in Feb....2-3 weeks after the thaw began.

CoastalWx

• 74,237 posts

But nice pics to be sure. Solid winter.

CoastalWx

• 74,237 posts

But nice pics to be sure. Solid winter in my backyard.

weathafella

• 19,658 posts

Carol,Edna,Hazel. Within 2 months I experienced 3 full blown hurricanes. I was going on 8, I'm going on 66 now. It hasn't happened since 1954 in the NE.

HoarfrostHubb

• No matter where you go, there you are

• 29,899 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2010

Those were great storms for the NE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hurricane, Duxbury

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users