• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
ECMWF QPF Data?

Hey folks. I'm a tv met trying to find a website that shows QPF from the ECMWF model, aka the European. I originally thought there was no QPF output from the model, but after doing extensive google searching, I've seen several posts talking about ECMWF QPF. Unfortunately, through all this searching, I have not found a link to a site where these folks are getting this information. I did read one post that said the QPF output from the Euro is not public, and I called the NWS in Sterling, VA and a met there said they have the data on their internal server but the Euro weather service charges money for this data. Could this actually be true? If anyone knows of a website providing free access to QPF output from the Euro model, could you please share it with me. Thank you!

Clayton

Free access does not exist (that i know of). Accuweathers model page os the cheapest site that I know of that has it. Stormvista has it for pay. I assume places like MDA federal and WSI offer it on fee basis as well.

The Canadian and US government (and others) web sites freely give all nature of model data, models programmed by government employees with data gathered from government and private sources, and run on government computers on tax payer expense. Free for the entire planet with an internet connection to see.

Why is the European Community such dipwads about it?

The Canadian and US government (and others) web sites freely give all nature of model data, models programmed by government employees with data gathered from government and private sources, and run on government computers on tax payer expense. Free for the entire planet with an internet connection to see.

Why is the European Community such dipwads about it?

Realistically, we're giving away stuff for free that we don't have to give away. Don't get me wrong, as a scientist, I'm happy NCEP and CMC made the decisions that they have, and since NCEP falls under the Commerce Department, I see the argument for being free to all Americans (and after that, it's hard to keep it offline to non-Americans). The ECMWF provides their information to the member states' weather services who subsidize the operation. They're just different missions being served.

They make some data available freely, that's what you see on the Unisys or Plymouth sites. The vast majority though costs $, including QPF data I believe.

In addition to the model data, NCEP makes every line of its code freely available on the web as well.

I was very pleasantly surprised that I could get all of the code for free - very cool to be able to run your very own version of the WRF ( NAM) on your own computer - get all the charts you care for.

Now when I first got it running it was almost real time - easy to verify by looking out the window as each plot emerged - but a faster computer improved that!

They make some data available freely, that's what you see on the Unisys or Plymouth sites. The vast majority though costs $, including QPF data I believe.

In addition to the model data, NCEP makes every line of its code freely available on the web as well.

Including the GrADS map scripts? Where can I find those?

Isn't it in the source code?

http://grads.iges.or.../downloads.html

There's also the support libraries:

http://www.iges.org/...c/supplibs.html

And the Open project:

http://opengrads.org/

I already did all that... I was referring to the scripts (.gs files) that NOAA uses to post maps. The scripts are what tells GrADS what to do and how to do it (kinda like batch files).

I already did all that... I was referring to the scripts (.gs files) that NOAA uses to post maps. The scripts are what tells GrADS what to do and how to do it (kinda like batch files).

ah, I thought that GrADS just took the data and plotted it using the image libraries so the ability to customize the maps would be inside the GrADS source code.

I was thinking you were wanting to do custom maps?

ah, I thought that GrADS just took the data and plotted it using the image libraries so the ability to customize the maps would be inside the GrADS source code.

I was thinking you were wanting to do custom maps?

Yes I do... but I'd like to make a few of them look just like the NCEP ones, and for the life of me I can't tell what the heck they're doing to a few of the contours, except possibly using a lower-resolution dataset.

Archived