• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Lehigh Valley to Reading to Southern Poconos to NW NJ ...obs and banter!

mcgin

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always wanted to see the WNEP BY up close and personal.

I never have been up to their studios.

I'm thinking about maybe checking out the WYLN studio while I'm here in Hazleton.

148457_664682189462_6114193_38013425_432075_n.jpg

That's the newsroom in the background with myself and Reagan from the Poconos. Tom Clark gives tours usually two, tree times a week at night---of course its with the local cub scouts and local schools--maybe ya can sit in on one! :thumbsup: It's an amazing place--so much different than my little local cable station where I came from.

That's the newsroom in the background with myself and Reagan from the Poconos. Tom Clark gives tours usually two, tree times a week at night---of course its with the local cub scouts and local schools--maybe ya can sit in on one! :thumbsup: It's an amazing place--so much different than my little local cable station where I came from.

It'd be tough for a college student to blend in :lol: But who knows, worth a shot.

I met Tom in person once, at the Bowl For Kids Sake event in 2008 or 2009. Can't remember which one for sure.

Have you ever talked to a person from minersville or shenandoah, they have like a canadian accent.

One of my best friends is from Barnsville, but he's a stoner so he doesn't have the accent--he has the stoner accent. I have friends that goto the races who are from Minersville. It is certainly a blend of Canadian and midwest. The Wyoming Valley is similar, but less...and here they don't pronounce the th sound. I've also heard many pronounciations for the towns Nanticoke, Throope, Wilkes-Barre, Olyphant, and Shenandoah. The last Ive heard everything from Shen-Do to ShannonDoah.

Holy hell you know regan??? I graduated temple with her in 03! I swear that's her.. What a great person.

HAHA, yeah, Regs is AMAZING! Love that girl. I met her last year when I was in Stroudsburg at my cable station and she was doing the wnep thing in the Poconos...then I got hired here and SO happy to work with her. I grad Nova in 04---but I was best friends with one of her best friends Zack who also went to Temple. We are all now in this crazy business and it's a small world. I can't say enough good things about Regs...

What a small world. I'm so proud of her.. She might remember me. Ed Oswald is the name. I believe she was in my broadcast performance class when I did the weather for all the groups. They all requested I do the weather.

What can I say I was good at it! Lol

Man I wish I pursued the broadcast met route. Ah well, tech journalism has treated (and paid lol) me well

Oh, and Big Diamond is a nice place. In a state of flux though with ownership issues and infighting. But that place has been a part of my life from 1989 till 95.. and when i went back again starting in 2002. Hope it sticks around

PS jim went to the WNEP site.. and this is even funnier.. I'm a Blue Ridge Cable 11 alum.... ha. Was actually looking into transferring up there for a reporting job. But tech journalism called with much much better pay than Blue Ridge Cable ever could have been! I was working in master control but was about to start getting into the news side before I left. Ah yes, that place was interesting.

i know you guys have been shafted in snow the last 5 years. Honestly, i would rather live in your area then down here. If my job didnt prevent me from moving to lehigh valley i would do it in a minute.

The Lehigh Valley is a really nice area. I was born and raised there and if my WIFE didn't prevent me from moving there, I'd do it in a minute as well. ;)

Anyway, -2 here at 5:00AM.

-3.5 for the low and still -1 at 9:00AM.

Where we park our trucks it was -10, and that was enough to gel the diesel fuel. I warmed the truck up for 45 minutes, but once I hit the road, the sloshing in the tanks was enough to gel it up, and I spitted and sputtered and then stalled. It took 3 attempts to get it back to the shop. Every time I'd get it started, it would run a bit and die again.

Latest HWO for this region

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

1213 PM EST MON JAN 24 2011

NJZ001-007-008-PAZ054-055-060>062-251200-

SUSSEX-WARREN-MORRIS-CARBON-MONROE-BERKS-LEHIGH-NORTHAMPTON-

1213 PM EST MON JAN 24 2011

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTHERN NEW JERSEY...EAST

CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA AND NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA.

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY.

POTENTIAL CONTINUES FOR A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM TO IMPACT THE

REGION WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

FORECAST CONFIDENCE ON SOME OF THE DETAILS IS GROWING BUT THE AMOUNTS.

IT APPEARS THIS STORM WILL DELIVER MOSTLY SNOW WITH SOME SLEET AT

TIMES FROM SOMETIME LATE WEDNESDAY MORNING TILL SOMETIME JUST AFTER

MIDNIGHT WEDNESDAY NIGHT. THE WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING COMMUTE

SHOULD BE QUITE HAZARDOUS. PLOWABLE AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE LIKELY...

ESPECIALLY WEDNESDAY EVENING.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

From the Mt. Holly AFD

...WINTER STORM LIKELY FROM 10Z WEDNESDAY TO 10Z THURSDAY...

12Z GFS UKMET AND RGEM MODEL GUIDANCE CONFIRMS THE PAST SEVERAL DAYS

OF GEFS AND MORE RECENTLY THE SREF TRENDS FOR A SUBSTANTIAL WINTER

WX EVENT.

AM PREPARED TO ISSUE A 4TH/5TH PERIOD WATCH IF COLLABORATION WITH

NEIGHBORS AND HPC PERMITS.

HWO WILL UPDATE BY 1220 PM.

ESSENTIALLY... WE WILL BE IN THE DEVELOPING COMMA HEAD OF A GULF

COAST INTENSIFYING SHORT WAVE THAT LIFTS NE INTO A COMPACT CLOSED

LOW THRU THE MID ATLC COAST THAT HAS DEFORMATION ZONE BANDING ON

THE SE EDGE OF THE DEEPER RH ..LOOKS UNSTABLE ALOFT IN THAT REGION

PER GFS.. FOR LATE AFTN/EVENING. THAT COULD MEAN DECENT SNOWFALL

RATES OF AN INCH OR SO AN HOUR IN AN AREA THAT WILL HAVE LESS THAN

1 INCH OF FROZEN WATER EQUIVALENT QPF.

THE I95 REGION LOOKS LIKE A MESS WITH RAIN/SLEET AND SOME SNOW

CHANGING TO ALL SNOW AS THE LOW PULLS AWAY IN THE EVENING.

LOOKS ALIKE ALL SNOW /POSSIBLY A PRD OF SLEET MIX/ FROM SOMEWHERE

NEAR KUKT NORTH AND WEST....CERTAINLY ALLENTOWN NORTH AND WEST.

SE NJ AND SE 2/3RDS DEL SHOULD BE MOSTLY RAIN WITH MAYBE A LITTLE

ICE AT THE START NEAR DAWN WEDNESDAY AND MAYBE A 0.5 TO 3 INCH

EVENT SNOW EVENT IN THE BACKLASH COMMA HEAD ROTATING SOUTH BEHIND

THE DEPARTING LOW WEDNESDAY EVENING.

WIND ADVISORY POTENTIAL CONTINUES ALONG THE DEL S NJ COAST FOR

LATE WED AFTN AND EVENING.

Archived