• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Snowfall measuring tips

famartin

Just watch this video, it covers most things...

http://www.erh.noaa....ement_guide.htm

To elaborate on the video (and bump this thread with another storm coming):

1 - Measure in an area with limited drifting, AWAY from structures (or at least as far away as possible). An opening in a grove of trees is THE ideal. A deck may *seem* ideal, but proximity of buildings means that it is not (readings likely to be inflated no matter which way the wind is blowing).

2 - Use a snow board to measure on if possible. (A snow board is really any flat, thin, portable surface perhaps 1-2 feet wide by 1-2 feet long or so, painted white. Plywood works best). Measurements on a lawn are likely to be inflated by the underlying grass. Measurements on pavement are likely to be underdone due to melting.

3 - Clear the board at an interval no shorter than once every 6 hours. Absolutely do NOT clear the board hourly.

4 - Snowfall is defined as the maximum accumulation on the board during the 6-hour (or longer if unavoidable) interval between clearing. In other words, you can measure as often as you like as long as you don't clear the board.

5 - If the snow stops or changes to another form of precipitation, measure immediately. Don't wait until you are scheduled to clear the board.

6 - When you clear the board, DO NOT leave it in a hole in the snow. Place it on top of the existing snow cover, elevate it such that it is even with the existing snow cover, or clear the snow away from a LARGE area around the board. Otherwise, blowing and drifting may inflate your readings.

7 - If blowing and drifting is hard to avoid at your location, have multiple boards and use an average of the measurements as your total. Don't rely on just one board.

That's all I can think of at this moment...

I don't know how you can get a good measurment in near blizzard conditions with everything blowing around.I had absoulutley no snow on my front side walk and 2' drifts in the yard.

I guess I should also mention that measuring snow accurately in a highly developed urban area is close to impossible.

I guess I should also mention that measuring snow accurately in a highly developed urban area is close to impossible.

I am not that closed in, I have a single house with an entire city block vacant across the street, and a huge bank parking lot on my side, so that is a pretty big area with no buildings or big tress.

I am not that closed in, I have a single house with an entire city block vacant across the street, and a huge bank parking lot on my side, so that is a pretty big area with no buildings or big tress.

You would probably want to measure in the middle of the vacant block, if possible. I think I've mentioned this before..

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to put a board out in a public park that has all of the county cops watching? Lol.

Well you could put it out right as it starts, then no one would notice there's a random white board out there. Anyway it'll be dark by the time it starts so hardly anyone will notice ;)

Archived