Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Aussie (& S-Hemisphere) Cyclone Action 2010-2011

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SST anomalies in the SPAC just off the NE coast of Australia are below normal? Is that normal during a La Nina? I thought those should be warm close to the coast during a Nina and further east during a Nino

I'm not sure what the subsurface looks like, but my guess is that the cool SSTAs there are because of a series of extratropical storms that moved through that area in November. It's been warming up quite a bit over the last two weeks. I don't think it will be a significant factor in the Aussie season.

IDW10800Australian Government Bureau of MeteorologyWestern AustraliaTropical Cyclone three-day outlook for the Western RegionIssued at 2:00pm WST on Monday the 13th of December 2010Valid until midnight WST Thursday

Existing Cyclones in the Western region:Nil.

Potential Cyclones:At midday WST a weak low was near 13S102E, around 450 kilometres south west ofChristmas Island, embedded in a monsoon trough. It is possible that the low willdevelop into a tropical cyclone by late Tuesday, or more likely on Wednesday orThursday, by which time it is expected to be moving towards the south southeast.

Likelihood of this system being a tropical cyclone in the Western Region:

Tuesday :Moderate

Wednesday :High

Thursday :High

Another tropical low may develop off the Kimberley coast on Thursday. Likelihood of this system being a tropical cyclone in the Western Region:

Tuesday :Very Low

Wednesday :Very Low

Thursday :Low

There are no other significant lows expected in the region during the next threedays.

NOTES: Development Potential is an estimate of the chance of each system being atropical cyclone in the Region for each day.

Very Low: less than 5% Low: 5% - 20%,

Moderate: 20% - 50% High: Over 50%

The Western Region refers to the Indian Ocean between Longitudes 90-125E andsouth of Latitude 10S.Further information on Tropical Cyclones is available at: www.bom.gov.au/weather/cyclone/

What is LC saying about the Aussie season? Should we expect him to bust by less than seven storms this time?

LC made the greatest call in the history of tropical forecasting calling for no cane landfalls in the US. lets get back to the question. is december similar to our june?

LC made the greatest call in the history of tropical forecasting calling for no cane landfalls in the US.

Right for the wrong reasons. He was atrocious all summer.

lets get back to the question. is december similar to our june?

Read the thread, hun. It's been answered already.

Hey, guys! Sorry I've been so absent from this thread. These kinds of business trips kind of suck me in. I haven't even entered Alby's contest yet, as I haven't had time to do the necessary research. :( You guys-- kush, Adam, Ed, etc.-- should enter it, too! (He indicated the deadline was 08 Dec, but I'm wondering if he might give us a small grace period.)

I'll be returning to Prague on Friday, at which time I will return to my regular wx-nerd state. :D

Archived