joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NE OK/ NW AR/ SE KS/ SW MO Winter 2011

JoMo

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone had a chance to look at the 12z GFS? I haven't... curious as to what it shows for late weekend/early next week. Hoping the trend of gloom and doom doesn't continue.

Generally light precip off and on entire forecast, temps close to or above freezing. GGEM was mostly north as well through 180. Waiting on king Euro since the other models tend to follow it.

Okay, so this is a bit of a rant... weather related - somewhat... so exactly why are some schools out going on DAY FOUR after a 1-2" snowfall?!?! I realize it hasn't all melted. I realized it is cold. But for the love of all that is good and decent... I can't imagine what some of these districts would do if they received 5 or 6 inches!

Weather related completely now: Most OCMs don't seem too gung ho on the early week system. I am not sure it is going to amount to much unless something significant changes.

Okay, so this is a bit of a rant... weather related - somewhat... so exactly why are some schools out going on DAY FOUR after a 1-2" snowfall?!?! I realize it hasn't all melted. I realized it is cold. But for the love of all that is good and decent... I can't imagine what some of these districts would do if they received 5 or 6 inches!

Weather related completely now: Most OCMs don't seem too gung ho on the early week system. I am not sure it is going to amount to much unless something significant changes.

My guess is they don't want to expose the kids to the extreme cold. They don't want them at the school bus stops, etc. I'm not exactly sure why as I remember standing outside in a 7 degree temp during a bomb threat when I was in school.

JoMo, can you explain what that means. It looks like temps are slightly too warm. Am I reading that correctly?

Temps are close but too warm at this time.

You can see the initial wave here located over S OK area. The energy that is diving in is over the Northwest:

gfs_500_102s.gif

Fast forward to 114 and the initial wave has crapped out while the NW energy dives in.

gfs_500_114s.gif

The problem for us is, it's generating a low over Nebraska while energy continues to dive to the south. The surface low is over Arkansas at this time:

gfs_500_120s.gif

If that X isn't over Nebraska this would be a pretty decent setup for us all I think.

Of course the GGEM is completely different and has a low skirting across the southern US @ 120.

Because they do not treat the roads. Two days off for a 1" snowfall with some consideration for a third? WTH? If they would just mix a little salt in with the cinders, this packed ice/snow on the roads would be gone in less than a day. I realize they don't have a large fleet of vehicles but this is an example of what makes the Ozarks seem so primitive and unattractive to people thinking of relocating large businesses and contributes to all sorts of economic losses in terms of local businesses. It seems like a way of life to have untreated roads, but it is highly inefficient and costs that locals far more in terms of lost wages than the small additional amount it would cost to treat the roads properly. Some out of the box thinking would be helpful.

I sure hope we don't get bombed. Did TSA tell the National Security Council about this threat? ;) J/k!

Temp this morning is 2º... wow! What a nice change from yesterday morning's 1º. :D Hopefully we can get close to freezing today.

Concerning this weekend into early next week, the models really seem to be all over place. Hopefully within the next 48 hours or so we will be able to notice some trends in one direction or the other.

Not looking too good on the models today. Temps will be close and everything may be going north. They diverge pretty badly after Day 5. Looks like the Canadian is trying to bring down the Arctic, Euro has a cutoff on the S Cal coast, and GFS is just meh.

Not looking too good on the models today. Temps will be close and everything may be going north. They diverge pretty badly after Day 5. Looks like the Canadian is trying to bring down the Arctic, Euro has a cutoff on the S Cal coast, and GFS is just meh.

so perhaps a dry arctic blast? drat it all!

Archived