• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Do NWS regions have back-up offices?

Offices often do back-up for one another for many reasons, mostly far more mundane. Often you'll see an AFD that's written by an adjoining office. Not sure if there is a formal protocol for who does it, but it does happen occasionally.

Let's say LWX is wiped out in Loudoun County due to a ill-forecast cold front that produced a F5 nright atop the NWS office out there...who does the LWX forecast zones?

Is there a list of back-ups for individual offices?

I think I remember either Blacksburg or Raleigh doing our forecasts before(I'm in the GSP cwfa)

It was Blacksburg. We'd never let RAH touch our grids. lol

Actually, CAE is our main back-up and RNK is our secondary. Long story...but you probably saw the WSW that RNK issued for us a few weeks ago. We would have used CAE, but that was not possible.

Listings of the primary and secondary NWS backups can be found at http://www.nws.noaa.gov/directives/010/010.htm near the bottom of the page (NDS 10-22 Readiness). Unfortunately the Eastern Region assignments are found via two hyperlinks in its section of this reference, and neither link worked when I checked this evening. The other regions' assignments are directly listed in their sections.

In Eastern Region: LWX and PHI are a primary backup pair, as are OKX and BOX.

Archived