• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z ECMWF suggest we get close to the record high pressure in the cont US

I would most definitely add January 1962 plus December-January 1962-63. For the Western States, nothing has yet beat January 1949.

Steve

Yeah, Jan 1949 is king for the West, with Jan 1937 a very close second. Jan 1930, while not nearly as impressive in your region, was also just as cold as 1949 over many other portions of the West.

Yeah, Dec 1989 definitely would rank above a couple of those. I was just ranking the list he provided.

Yeah, Jan 1982 and Dec 1989 would also have to be included-- and Dec 1989 to Jan 1990 might have to get the vote for the most violent turnaround lol.

Impressive 582+mb around Bering strait in the 12z Euro and 1071mb close to NW AK.... I think the record for the US was set during Feb '89 with a 1072mb in Alaska.

Interesting-- that was a strong la nina winter (with a pos nao however.)

Thanks for the graph. We are obviously overdue for a mega cold January...will be interesting to see where 2011 ends up.

Amazing how Jan 1977 and 1979 blow everything else out of the water.

The 1978-79 winter is startling for how cold it was coast to coast. The previous two winters were colder here, but nationwide, I think 1978-79 was the coldest of that very cold trio.

Archived