• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion- cool season '23-24

mayjawintastawm

Was skiing at Loveland today and on the way back the temp went from 24 (at 11000 ft) to 43 (in Idaho Springs, 7500 ft) then dropped as I went down the hill to 32 in Lakewood with heavy snow/graupel, flooded roads and thunder and lightning. Quite a trip! Rain changed to snow here about 6:45 PM and it's been snowing pretty hard though not accumulating a whole lot.

This is my first major chinook event.  Have no idea what to expect.  Hopefully my proximity to 25/the plains helps cut down my max gusts.  I'm supposed to pick up my wife at DIA tonight and am hoping her flight just gets cancelled.

2 hours ago, Tezeta said:

This is my first major chinook event.  Have no idea what to expect.  Hopefully my proximity to 25/the plains helps cut down my max gusts.  I'm supposed to pick up my wife at DIA tonight and am hoping her flight just gets cancelled.

this is more of a cold upper-air event, which might be called a "bora," which is one of two downslope wind types (katabatic and adiabatic, Foehn and Bora, from the Alps in Europe.)

NW wind gusts of 41 kt next to SE wind gusts of 38 kt

low pressure event.jpg

1 hour ago, Chinook said:

this is more of a cold upper-air event, which might be called a "bora," which is one of two downslope wind types (katabatic and adiabatic, Foehn and Bora, from the Alps in Europe.)

NW wind gusts of 41 kt next to SE wind gusts of 38 kt

low pressure event.jpg

My understanding is that the first half of the event is bora, switching to chinook later tonight. This is based upon last nights boulder forecast discussion, but I’m not a met. Either way it sucks. 

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

XCel energy is proactively shutting off power to a lot of homes on the front range until tomorrow. Seems a bit drastic, but then again they'll get blamed for wildfires if they didn't do it.

No email from xcel for me. Fingers crossed. My development is all buried so hopefully will be fine. 

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

XCel energy is proactively shutting off power to a lot of homes on the front range until tomorrow. Seems a bit drastic, but then again they'll get blamed for wildfires if they didn't do it.

Inconvenient yes, but not drastic If the winds increase as expected.  The last time the area got hit with such winds was during the Marshall fire. Given that Xcel infrastructure was determined to be an ignition source, it is prudent. 

No snow nor even freezing temps in the next week forecast, with the first 80 F sometime this weekend. No snow for April so far, season total 58.1", just a little above average due to El Nino finally coming through in March. Still wishing for one more snowfall, but it may not happen. Only three Aprils in the past 140+ years didn't have snow, though, and only 13 had a trace or less, so won't call this final. Time for a new Mountain West thread in any case. 

On vacation in Las Vegas and s Utah since Tuesday, gradual cooling trend ended with rain and gusty winds today, hot to warm to very cool, now just 40F at Kanab, UT (was 90F on Tues in Vegas). Both LAS and SLC set daily rainfall records, at 0.23" Vegas to 0.82" SLC. I think gradient of rainfall in between was fairly linear so about 0.4" fell in parts of s Utah. It is the first significant rain in Vegas and s UT since winter ended but the wet winter resulted in very good desert blooming, saw lots of flowering cactus on display at Desert National Wildlife Refuge located about ten miles north of Vegas outer suburbs on US95, if you get a chance it's a very interesting area, as is nearby Red Rock Canyon and Fire Valley State Park. Going to various national parks in UT now but in most cases have visited before so we know what to expect (life elevated). 

• Like 1