Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

7 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

1.5" overnight with some rates reaching near 1.5" per hour

Avoided the hail though, thankfully, and avoided the training that other areas got

that's a lot. 

New severe warning for Denver, hail is likely to be in downtown pretty soon

55 minutes ago, mayjawintastawm said:

F**K. PDS tornado warning in Highlands ranch moving toward Parker. Smokeybandit, get inside and down in the basement!

Just .25"/.5" hail here. Though enough to clog gutters and making my yard a river again. I was eyeing that cell though willing it die out, which it did.

32 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Just .25"/.5" hail here. Though enough to clog gutters and making my yard a river again. I was eyeing that cell though willing it die out, which it did.

Whew! good news. Looked like it was making a beeline for Parker, then after it crossed I-25 it fizzled. We ended up OK too, the hail somehow went one way or another over our neighborhood.

On another note, now that we've had a fair number of tornadoes in Eastern CO this year, it seems like the vast majority, even big ones like how this started out, come and go within a few minutes/miles. Long- or even medium-track ones are rare indeed. Even in the Northeast where I grew up it's not uncommon to see them go 5-10 miles when they do occur, although it's rare to see any at all.

We threaded the needle and stayed dry, though I wish we hadn't, given the enormous number of large fireworks people are lighting off in our neighborhood. Didn't need that roof, anyway...:facepalm:

Then of course after I wrote this, we got deluged by close to an inch of rain with some hail after 11 PM. These nighttime downpours are something I have not experienced much before this year.

Just looking once more at climate stats as we hopefully near the end of this crazy period... Centennial Airport had 8.99" of rain in June, and over 17" since April 22nd. Just nuts. Only time I've experienced this degree of rain before was when we lived in MA, and had 15" in June of 2008 or 2009. The tomato plants grew to 8 feet high that summer.

This is a stretch of 110's that I seriously would not want to happen to me. Do you want to know something else that's crazy? If this month's Phoenix temperature of 101.2 was compared to Phoenix 1951-1980 data, it would be 8.9 degrees F above normal.

Phoenix (Sky Harbor) Late June

1032956669_phoenixlatejune.jpg.f7e7f4794395becbbfd14ec92fad4e20.jpg

Phoenix (Sky Harbor) Julyphoenix.thumb.jpg.39f5b1f3ddf4d1a8c3dd967f592258cb.jpg