• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Traveling South on 95 and trying to avoid the Baltimore tunnels , a little help

Brasiluvsnow

Next week I will be traveling by car from Jersey heading South with someone who hates tunnels and we want to avoid the Baltimore tunnels. I would like to just have them take a sleeping pill but that is not an option so can someone chime in and tell me if there is a way to avoid the Baltimore tunnels and instead take a bridge ? I was told by someone that if I am heading South on 95 that we can get off somewhere around exit 64 and get onto 695 and that this 695 will take you over a bridge and it will hook back up with 95 but I have no idea how to do this or if we should be heading East or West on 695 any help would be appreciated thanks in advance 

3 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Next week I will be traveling by car from Jersey heading South with someone who hates tunnels and we want to avoid the Baltimore tunnels. I would like to just have them take a sleeping pill but that is not an option so can someone chime in and tell me if there is a way to avoid the Baltimore tunnels and instead take a bridge ? I was told by someone that if I am heading South on 95 that we can get off somewhere around exit 64 and get onto 695 and that this 695 will take you over a bridge and it will hook back up with 95 but I have no idea how to do this or if we should be heading East or West on 695 any help would be appreciated thanks in advance 

Yes - you can take I-695 EAST and it will take you by Essex which will then take you over the Francis Scott Key Bridge. Then just continue on 695 until you get to I-95 again and continue south on 95 and you're set! Best suggestion is to use Google Maps on the web and drag the route to the desired points so that you can customize it!

• Thanks 2

If you are running Google Maps on a mobile device or even any recent GPS, as long as you get off of 95 at exit 64 and take 695 east, it *should* get you to the right places - but for the first few miles there's a chance it will try to get you back onto the tunnel routes - so just be sure to stay the course and it will eventually recalculate properly I believe. Forum posters from that part of the region might have a better idea as to whether it WILL readjust. 

7 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

If you are running Google Maps on a mobile device or even any recent GPS, as long as you get off of 95 at exit 64 and take 695 east, it *should* get you to the right places - but for the first few miles there's a chance it will try to get you back onto the tunnel routes - so just be sure to stay the course and it will eventually recalculate properly I believe. Forum posters from that part of the region might have a better idea as to whether it WILL readjust. 

Thanks KM,,,,,I was told the 695 route actually is not much longer time or mile wise but I guess that I will find out. Much appreciated that you chimed in enjoy the weekend 

3 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Thanks KM,,,,,I was told the 695 route actually is not much longer time or mile wise but I guess that I will find out. Much appreciated that you chimed in enjoy the weekend 

It shouldn't add a ton of time - and honestly even if it added an annoying amount of time - it sounds like it will be absolutely worth it to avoid any anxiety and phobias! Safe travels! 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

What @Kmlwx said is great advice. Another option would be to take exit 57 onto Boston Street and cut through the city. It would of course add time, but there are some great spots in Canton, Fells Point, or Federal Hill to grab some food and get a vibe for the city. 

If you’re in a hurry, what @Kmlwx said is the best advice, but as much as we get a bad rap, we’ve got some cool spots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

What @Kmlwx said is great advice. Another option would be to take exit 57 onto Boston Street and cut through the city. It would of course add time, but there are some great spots in Canton, Fells Point, or Federal Hill to grab some food and get a vibe for the city. 

If you’re in a hurry, what @Kmlwx said is the best advice, but as much as we get a bad rap, we’ve got some cool spots.

No time to stop this trip but I have been wanting to catch a Yankee game there,,,,,one of these days,,Thanks

On 3/24/2023 at 11:34 PM, Brasiluvsnow said:

Depending on time of day and traffic, it could actually be the faster route haha...695 east around the Essex/Dundalk area and the Key bridge is usually not heavily traveled. I live in Dundalk so Key bridge is my stomping grounds, only 5 minutes from it.

5 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

Depending on time of day and traffic, it could actually be the faster route haha...695 east around the Essex/Dundalk area and the Key bridge is usually not heavily traveled. I live in Dundalk so Key bridge is my stomping grounds, only 5 minutes from it.

Thanks ,,,, what exit is it when we are driving back North on 95 that hooks up with 695 , is it 49 ??? 

On 3/24/2023 at 11:24 PM, Kmlwx said:

Did the drive yesterday and thanks for your input as it was easy and everyone in the car was happy :D,,,,,I might actually go that way every time depending on the time of day I am traveling as we hit it at around 1pm on Sunday and there was not much traffic but I am sure it could be much different during the week. I asked this on another reply but when we return home heading north on 95 what exit is it that hooks up with 695 west is it 49 ? Thanks again for chiming in

16 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Did the drive yesterday and thanks for your input as it was easy and everyone in the car was happy :D,,,,,I might actually go that way every time depending on the time of day I am traveling as we hit it at around 1pm on Sunday and there was not much traffic but I am sure it could be much different during the week. I asked this on another reply but when we return home heading north on 95 what exit is it that hooks up with 695 west is it 49 ? Thanks again for chiming in

Just to clarify - if you're going back the same way you came - it'll be 49A for the exit and then 695 EAST towards Glen Burnie. Glad it worked out! Safe travels!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

Just to clarify - if you're going back the same way you came - it'll be 49A for the exit and then 695 EAST towards Glen Burnie. Glad it worked out! Safe travels!

KM = now u lost me :D as I hear you  "  It'll be 49A" BUT --->when I was heading South we took 695 EAST so now that I am heading North wouldn't I be getting on 695 WEST,,,,?

52 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

KM = now u lost me :D as I hear you  "  It'll be 49A" BUT --->when I was heading South we took 695 EAST so now that I am heading North wouldn't I be getting on 695 WEST,,,,?

No. Regardless of whether you’re traveling from the north or from the south, you’ll want east. Coming south you went “left” to go east, and coming north you’ll go “right” to go east, but that section of the beltway is the east side.

Going west on the beltway would take you up my side and you don’t want that crap. Always traffic.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

No. Regardless of whether you’re traveling from the north or from the south, you’ll want east. Coming south you went “left” to go east, and coming north you’ll go “right” to go east, but that section of the beltway is the east side.

Going west on the beltway would take you up my side and you don’t want that crap. Always traffic.

You learn something new everyday,,,lol Thanks

19 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

You learn something new everyday,,,lol Thanks

It’s confusing because the beltway is a loop. When you are heading home, you will take 695 East, and although you’ll initially be going east, you will be circling counterclockwise so you will slowly be turning to north to re-intersect with 95 North. A map makes it clear.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Thanks! I had fallen asleep thus my non-reply! 

The "good" news is for @Brasiluvsnow that because it's a loop...even if you took the wrong way you'd still eventually get back to 95...just much longer ;) 

• Haha 1