• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

The models today have some snow for Colorado on Wednesday Feb 16. GEFS ensemble means say a 500mb trough dips down to Flagstaff AZ. If it does happen, it is keeping with the theme of mid-week snow. The GFS in fact says the snow starts at 09z on Wednesday, which is 2:00AM. Obviously, don't expect this to be the exact timing.

On visible satellite, you can still see the band of snow cover from January 25th going from Greeley and Loveland towards Goodland Kansas

a lot of ensemble members have something for NE Colorado (for now)

1wSQnzR.png

MT2PEmk.jpg

• Like 2

Heading out to Bozeman, MT on the 19th for a few days of skiing at Bridger and Big Sky, and I'm definitely getting concerned about the warmth and lack of snow. A week or two it looked like the pattern was going to shift, but now it appears that any cool-downs will be transient and any precipitation minimal. I'm committed either way, and am hoping it's not too much of a bust.

3 hours ago, PWMan said:

Heading out to Bozeman, MT on the 19th for a few days of skiing at Bridger and Big Sky, and I'm definitely getting concerned about the warmth and lack of snow. A week or two it looked like the pattern was going to shift, but now it appears that any cool-downs will be transient and any precipitation minimal. I'm committed either way, and am hoping it's not too much of a bust.

Really, as a transplanted New Englander, even this year's "marginal" season is not bad at all by the standards we grew up with. Most areas (just checked Big Sky too) are 3/4 open, and melt out is not nearly as early or as dramatic as Eastern resorts due to higher elevations and dry air. All you need are 3-4 inches of powder on a decent base to have fun, and no reason that can't happen between now and next week. Enjjoy, and use LOTS of sunscreen!

2 hours ago, mayjawintastawm said:

Really, as a transplanted New Englander, even this year's "marginal" season is not bad at all by the standards we grew up with. Most areas (just checked Big Sky too) are 3/4 open, and melt out is not nearly as early or as dramatic as Eastern resorts due to higher elevations and dry air. All you need are 3-4 inches of powder on a decent base to have fun, and no reason that can't happen between now and next week. Enjjoy, and use LOTS of sunscreen!

Thanks! I do have to keep reminding myself that things out there are more forgiving than in New England, where a couple warm/damp days can really wreak havoc and take a while to recover from. This will be my boys' first time skiing out west (I was actually born in Bozeman and learned at Big Sky), and I've been prepping them for the higher elevation. As Mainers we're not accustomed to thinking about sunscreen this time of year....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PWMan said:

Thanks! I do have to keep reminding myself that things out there are more forgiving than in New England, where a couple warm/damp days can really wreak havoc and take a while to recover from. This will be my boys' first time skiing out west (I was actually born in Bozeman and learned at Big Sky), and I've been prepping them for the higher elevation. As Mainers we're not accustomed to thinking about sunscreen this time of year....

Ayuh. Gonna look like a lawbsta' if ya nawt careful!

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm in the small portion of Parker that spills over into Elbert County

OK, I have no good explanation then. You're probably somewhere around 6400 ft elevation, which should help upslope. Then again, most places east of E-470 have been really, really dry this winter.

The little storm yesterday yielded 0.42" WE at our place, the wettest day since late June of last year.

As for me, I didn't get any one day over 0.42" in between August 19th-20th and December 31st-January 1st.

The snow storm for this week will most likely be in the range of 06z Wednesday to 06z Thursday, and the models have lower snow amounts all across the board, basically, despite a nice location of the 500mb low. I guess we should still be on the lookout for the snow to be impactful.

Here is the GFS for later this week. The snow should start some time in the middle of the day on Wednesday, maybe 2:00PM or later. The models have been showing 0.5" to 0.7" QPF for the foothills up to 10000ft, and somewhat lower, possibly 0.3" QPF for the I-25 corridor. Gee, I'm not quite sure I believe the 31"-40" at the Iowa/Missouri border yet. As for Missouri, the NAM and GFS have a major snow for Kansas City, but the UKMET, Canadian, and Euro take it south of Kansas City. So, pretty interesting disagreement at this point in time. The NAM has kind of a nasty zone of sleet south of Kansas City.

oUB7Qfn.png

40 minutes ago, mayjawintastawm said:

and... crickets. Meh. What if they gave a watch and nobody came?

In their recent AFD update acknowledged this will likely be an advisory level event outside of some areas up against and in the foothills. 

I’m glad this storm will spread a bit more wealth up at the resorts. They’ve been too dry since New Years.