• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    zurn
    Newest Member
    zurn

Fall/Winter 20-21 General Observations

This winter has been a good one for Knoxville but I swear.... it seems like it’s been 40° and cloudy the last 2 months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 inches on the season. Very reminiscent of 2010-11 here. It was never blistering cold but it was rarely warm. Had we gotten the cold western areas got IMBY this would have went from a very very good winter to an epic winter. As it is there's been some snow or ice around for weeks here. 

• Like 4

Hey all, decided to repost what I shared on Tennesseewx.com. This is a brief analysis of the nation's seasonal snowfall (including images). Shows national snowcover as of January 1st, February 12th, and today. This week has been one for the record books for millions of people.

https://tennesseewx.com/index.php/topic,4027.msg259012.html#msg259012

• Like 1

If I include the 1.5" of sleet in my annual total, I have 9.3" for the year. This winter has been a good one. Can't complain when you get above average these days.

I'm 30 miles from Nashville, situated approximately 300' in elevation higher than KBNA. It's safe to assume my location should average slightly more than KBNA's annual snowfall- maybe by a half inch or so. If the 1981-2010 data at KBNA was 6.4" per year, let's assume the average in Primm Springs is 7.0" per year. It's been more rare in recent winters to surpass the average from the past, so my expectations for each winter are a bit lower. Therefore, this is my grading system for how well a certain winter did IMBY based on snowfall:

F: Trace or no accumulation (example: 2004-2005) TOTAL FAILURE

D: 1" or less (2011-2012) VERY DISAPPOINTING

C-: 1-2" (2013-2014) FRUSTRATING

C: 2-3" (2016-2017) LOUSY

C+: 3-4" (2017-2018) MEH

B-: 4-5" (2007-2008) SATISFACTORY

B: 5-7" (2014-2015) DECENT

B+: 7-10" (2009-2010) GOOD

A-: 10-15" (2010-2011) GREAT

A: 15-24" (1995-1996) EXCELLENT

A+: 24" or greater (1976-1977) EPIC

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Jed33 said:

Absolutely ripping snow here right now! Ground getting white fast! Where did this come from. Wow!

Same, wife opened door this morning and said it was snowing.  I was like wtf, looked outside and sure enough it's ripping

• Like 2

Snowed steadily for an hour or two here as well this AM - a trace in the grass.  Reminds me of June out in Yellowstone.  You kind of get the feeling that spring is waiting around the corner, but winter isn't quite giving up just yet.

• Like 1

Good week for winter weather lovers down here. Recap for my area:

Thu, Feb 11: Ice storm (still ice on trees as of Feb 20)

Fri-Sat, 12-13: Freezing fog for more than 48 hours; temps remained below 0 deg. C

Sun, 14: 0.5" of sleet in evening

Mon, 15: 1.0" of sleet

Tue, 16: 0.5" of dry snow

Wed, 17: 3.5" of snow, 0.1" of sleet

Thu, 18: 0.5" of snow

• Like 3

The blitzing rain and overnight warm up are likely ending the last of my snow cover. I suspect there may be a few more snow showers between now and April but think winter in any meaningful way is likely over. 

• Like 1

Still waiting for the warm-up!   Cold rain here today - very cold.  My summer forecast is easy this year...hot and getting hotter.  Have seen several mets who have stated something similar, so that is nothing new.  La Nina often means really hot summers IMBY.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John1122 said:

The blitzing rain and overnight warm up are likely ending the last of my snow cover. I suspect there may be a few more snow showers between now and April but think winter in any meaningful way is likely over. 

Somehow after a ton of rain last night and 50+ on Sunday we still have a little left in heavily shaded areas. And this "line" of snow that slid off the roof and has been there all month lol. Tomorrow is supposed to be mid 50s so I doubt it survives any longer.

N5PsTi.jpg

• Like 6

The weather station has me at 0.93 inches of rain today.  One of it's first real workouts.  We'll see what Sunday brings.  :guitar:

Which one did you get? My Davis crapped the bad last year and I need a new one.

18 hours ago, PowellVolz said:

Does it have WiFi capability?

Oh yeah, and great range too.  It transmits to the console and from there it uploads directly to the cloud.  It's sensor array seems to be the most common on Wunderground.  I added a lightning detector and will eventually add soil moisture sensors.

• Like 1

Now that we have turned the page into meteorological spring, I can look back on the winter months.  For me, living near downtown Knoxville, this winter "felt" more normal than recent years.  I ended up with almost 4" of snow on Christmas Eve/Christmas day and pretty much whiffed on the other systems.   The climate reports echo what I "felt."  December was 0.9 degrees below the 1981-2010 normals, January was 1.5 degrees above, but with one caveat - the average highs were 0.5 degrees below normal, with lows 3.3 degrees above. So daytime highs were cold.  Lastly, the preliminary data for February shows 0.6 degrees below normal for the month.  

So, all in all, I was pleased with this winter relative to the duds we've had recently.  We actually had snow that stuck around to for my kids to play in two days in a row and I wasn't outside in shorts in January.  Maybe we can get a March surprise - outside of that, I'm ready to start the gardening.

David

• Like 2

Tom Niziol who worked for TWC has a house @ 3700’ on Roan Mountain says he’s had around 40” of snow so far this “season”.

• Like 1

It was just cold and windy today. I went to a soccer event and it was low 40s with a stiff northeast wind around 5 pm. Felt like January after it had been sunny and 60s the last few days. 

• Like 1

Went to a high school baseball  game yesterday  where they played right through a hail/rain shower. The hail actually whitened the ground in some areas around here. Today it's windy as all get out and 39 degrees. Feels extremely cold after the run of warmth we've had to close out winter and begin spring.