joxey
2017 Severe Thread

mappy

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, yoda said:

What is this supposed to show?

I was just trying to make a joke about how it is somewhat weird that in late May the SPC has an at least level 2(slight risk) of severe well into Florida... something you'd expect more in late February. I admit it was not the best joke about... you know what nevermind I'll show myself the way out. *walks into dreamville*

:whistle:

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/...
Weak ridge of high pressure sfc and aloft will build over the
area Fri night into Sat. Despite this, model guidance show
moisture overspreading the area from the west and even generate
light QPF west of the Blue Ridge.

A low pressure system near Chicago Sun morning will travel
northeast into Lk Huron by Mon morning pushing a cdfnt through
the area Sun night. Modest height falls and sfc pressure falls
will lead to convective development Sun afternoon with severe
t-storms possible especially east of the Blue Ridge and south of
I-66 & U.S. Hwy 50.

11 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Yeah but MLCAPE looks MUCH, much lower as is expected. Keep your expectations in check for Sunday. 

I know, was just mentioning how high it was.  We rarely have SBCAPE above 5000 around here even in best case scenarios... supercell comp was around 20

Who is doing the outlook issuances with WxWatcher out of town?

10 minutes ago, yoda said:

I know, was just mentioning how high it was.  We rarely have SBCAPE above 5000 around here even in best case scenarios... supercell comp was around 20

Who is doing the outlook issuances with WxWatcher out of town?

Supercell composite parameter uses CAPE as one of it's variables I believe. So ridiculous CAPE will lead to those numbers. 

Also, remember to check dews - sometimes we see those vastly overmodeled leading to ridiculous CAPE being printed out. 

27 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Yeah but MLCAPE looks MUCH, much lower as is expected. Keep your expectations in check for Sunday. 

5 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Supercell composite parameter uses CAPE as one of it's variables I believe. So ridiculous CAPE will lead to those numbers. 

Also, remember to check dews - sometimes we see those vastly overmodeled leading to ridiculous CAPE being printed out. 

I assume that that has to do with rain contaminated air from nearby convection leading to models showing crazy high dewpoints but only at the surface. Hence, why you can get extremely high SBCAPE values and MUCH, much lower MLCAPE values. This is just my hypothesis by the way. 

7 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

18z GFS had the highest sup composite number approaching 25 yesterday evening

3 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Yoda,

A sounding from that area of 6K CAPE is showing a Td of 79. That's not going to happen. So you can immediately take the CAPE way down. 

79 may be too high, but 75+ DPs are possible depending on what happens in the morning and afternoon... SW winds could advect in very humid air

Just now, yoda said:

18z GFS had the highest sup composite number approaching 25 yesterday evening

I would expect any one location to have a max dewpoint potential of 70-72. The models love to give unreasonable depictions of surface dewpoints ahead of time. Look for those to come back to reality in subsequent runs. 

Oh wow...It's happening...I'm turning into not a weenie anymore...where has the old Kmlwx gone?

Just now, Kmlwx said:

I would expect any one location to have a max dewpoint potential of 70-72. The models love to give unreasonable depictions of surface dewpoints ahead of time. Look for those to come back to reality in subsequent runs. 

Oh wow...It's happening...I'm turning into not a weenie anymore...where has the old Kmlwx gone?

DCing has finally done you in.

Just now, Kmlwx said:

I blame Ian.

Again though - that's SB. MLCAPE will be even lower. Still too many muddy details to buy into Sunday yet. 

I'm NOT worse than Ian. When I get to Eskimo Joe status let me know and I'll head the other direction :lol:

I've just started to learn that parameters pretty much mean nothing for us. We will *generally* find a way to screw up a setup. I generally will look at the supercell composite maps to identify days when there *might* be a threat. Then I dive in and look deeper and see if it's a legit threat or something less so. 

7 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Again though - that's SB. MLCAPE will be even lower. Still too many muddy details to buy into Sunday yet. 

I'm NOT worse than Ian. When I get to Eskimo Joe status let me know and I'll head the other direction :lol:

I've just started to learn that parameters pretty much mean nothing for us. We will *generally* find a way to screw up a setup. I generally will look at the supercell composite maps to identify days when there *might* be a threat. Then I dive in and look deeper and see if it's a legit threat or something less so. 

True Juice. Already looking at early morning crapvection/MCS trying to cloud things up. Still early of course.

3 minutes ago, George BM said:

True Juice. Already looking at early morning crapvection/MCS trying to cloud things up. Still early of course.

And none of that will be cleared up until Saturday PM at the earliest. As usual, lots of wild cards before we can assess the threat level. SPC and LWX seem to be good discussions for now. 

Archived