• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Heading for Coldest December in 6 Years!

ChescoWx

Well with the last 5 Decembers running very warm with departures from Chester County norms as follows:

2011 + 6.2

2012 +5.7

2013 +0.8

2014 +2.6

2015 + 14.0

This December through the 1st 23 days is averaging (0.9) below normal....so highly likely despite a couple warm days in the mix to finish as our coldest December in 6 long years! For those of you that like your holiday season cold.....this year has been a welcome return to those days of old back at the turn of the decade!

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all. I wish you and your families all the best during the holidays and look forward to some interesting weather tracking in the New Year. Thanks to all of you who keep this site purring along - your efforts do not go unnoticed!

Thanks! Paul

55 minutes ago, Redmorninglight said:

That's not saying much. December is becoming a fringe winter month at best. The WAR is likely caused by Greenland ice melting and suppressing the NA current. The pool of warm waters off our coast generally ensures a late start to winter. I don't see that changing any time soon. 

I was pretty much going to say the same thing.  So by the end of the month we'll be what, .01-.05 below normal??  That means squat based on the departures the last several years

and the holiday season is absolutely NOT "cold"

Down this way we've averaged 39.8F through the 23rd. That's 0.5F below normal.  It's also the "coldest" in 6 years. As already mentioned that is not sayin' much. Also as suggested seems this is becoming the "new" December not-so-winter pattern. Bummer. Just for historical (hysterical?) purposes I think back to December 1962 & 1963, my last two in high school. I went ice skating on Lily Lake, Cape May Point. Did seem to happen more often back then. Enough for now.

So wintry Decembers are quickly becoming a thing of lore while March and early April snowfalls and BN temps are becoming more common. Maybe over the next several decades we can push snowfall into May and even early June with balmy Decembers and Januarys? Im with the others, this near average temperature December isnt very impressive and it certainly isnt a cold holiday season.

In any event, Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukah to you all and best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Just did a quick analysis of Decembers for the last 11 complete decades since 1900 covering the last 110 years here in Chester County to see how each decade has ranked regarding December temps - ranked coldest to warmest in decade ending: Of interest 2 of the 3 coldest decades have occurred in the last 6 decades or to view from the other side 3 of the 3 warmest have occurred in the last 6 decades

1) 1969 - 31.0

2) 1909 - 32.1

3) 1989 - 32.29

4) 1919 - 32.30

5) 1929 - 32.6

6) 1949 - 32.9

7) 1959 - 33.0

8) 1939 - 33.4

9) 1979 - 33.5

10) 2009 - 34.1

11) 1999 - 35.5

Archived