• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2016 Severe season thus far

Rock888

What do you all think of the severe weather this season so far and what were your favorite events/storms? Overall, after a very slow spring I thought basically from July 1 though August we had a pretty active and exciting season. 

Some of my favorite events:

July 14 2016: this event had some of the coolest, most ominous cloud formations I have seen in quite some time. Because the storms looked so ominous coming in, the actual storm was a bit of a let down. However, here in Queens we still had some pretty impressive lightning, downpours and wind gusts. 

July 25 2016: I predict for most people this will be the top event. The first storm out ahead of the main cells basically formed/intensified right over us. Probably the most vidid lighting and booming thunder I've heard all season. Along with the strangest gigantic raindrops I have ever seen. The second cell that came in like 15 minutes after the first one cleared darkened out the sun like nothing I have seen in recent memory. The worst of that cell hit south, but still had some very impressive lightning and downpours with it. 

first cell

August 11 2016: This was another cell that basically formed/intensified right over Queens. I got off the subway and looked out the entrance and saw wind driven rain and strobe like lightning all around. Very intense storm with lots of CGs and shotgun thunder crashes. 

Hoping maybe we can get one or two more events before the cold comes.. 

On 10/21/2016 at 3:29 AM, dmillz25 said:

July 25 was definitely the best storm day all season besides February 

The February event, although welcome and rare, didn't excite me too much. Maybe it's because my apartment is surrounded by other brick buildings that block the wind and I didn't see too much other than some moderately heavy rain, few decent gusts and maybe a flash of lightning or two. The July 25 event on the other hand was pretty awesome. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like my wishes were answered last Sunday 

Storm was actually worse where I was on the north shore of LI (Nassau County). Shelf cloud looked amazing coming in, was on the golf course and got drenched before I could make it back to car. Heaviest rain I've seen since mid-August and some strong winds too and loud thunder. Anyone else have any thoughts on this year's storms? 

1 hour ago, Cfa said:

What severe season? I think I can count the number of thunderstorms I've experienced this year on one hand lol.

I grew up in Suffolk County LI I feel your pain. In Queens things have been significantly better storm wise. How was the storm last Sunday by you, it looked pretty good on radar going through. 

Archived