• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
OT: My new weather cam.

DaveNay

I have been working on adding weather conditions to my web camera at home. I don't yet have this available to the public, but here is a snapshot of what it looks like so far.

The weather conditions and radar are updated every 15 minutes using the Weather Underground API. As soon as I get my personal weather station back up and running I will be displaying the real time local data with the radar still pulled from WUnderground.

I am open to suggestions for any interesting ideas!

post-10121-0-43180900-1457816437_thumb.p

That's sweet! Very nice...

I'm going to hit you up when I get around to putting a cam up so I can do something similar. Out of curiosity, what type of cam do you have? Does it some with the API integration out of the box or did you have to mod the camera software to be able to do it?

That's sweet! Very nice...

I'm going to hit you up when I get around to putting a cam up so I can do something similar. Out of curiosity, what type of cam do you have? Does it some with the API integration out of the box or did you have to mod the camera software to be able to do it?

The current camera is a Vivotek 8332 IP camera. I am reading the MJPEG video stream from the camera and adding the overlay graphics to each frame. The frames are then re-encoded into a video stream for viewing on the web.

There is no modification to the camera.

For the record, I am a software developer for a computer vision company, so manipulating camera images in real-time is what I do every day.

For the record, I am a software developer for a computer vision company, so manipulating camera images in real-time is what I do every day.

Out of curiosity, do you process the stream in C, or can you get by with some thing higher level? Everytime I play around with something graphical, I'm amazed by the amount of computation needed. Just a few simple permutations in Java can kill the FPS... I'm still schooling, but I think it'd fascinating to develop in that field.

Out of curiosity, do you process the stream in C, or can you get by with some thing higher level? Everytime I play around with something graphical, I'm amazed by the amount of computation needed. Just a few simple permutations in Java can kill the FPS... I'm still schooling, but I think it'd fascinating to develop in that field.

This particular application is written in C# since it is pretty low frame rate. 15FPS or so. For the industrial stuff we do it is mostly C for fast image acquisition and sometimes even Assembler for image manipulation.

Java is not going to be your friend for anything more than learning the basics.

Archived