Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Western Pacific Typhoon Season

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unprecedented if it hits Yemen at hurricane strength. I don't think there has been any cane hits there. The only precedent I could find was of a minimal TS that caused 180 deaths due to floods in 2008. And that's it, no other cyclones on record that made landfall there. Of course, the records for that area are not very complete and rather recent (1992 to date).

GFS is right at the border between Oman and Yemen, and the Euro west of the border (Yemen) by at least 60-80 miles. Shear shouldn't be a problem as westerlies are forecasted to stay above 17N. SSTs average around 29C for most of the projected track. Just steady west to west-northwest until landfall.

• 3 weeks later...

I generally agree that In-fa is about to go crazy, but I do have one hesitation, and it's the size of the core believe it or not. In 2009, Super Typhoon Parma had an extremely small core somewhat similar to this one. It bombed out initially, but then the core basically collapsed in on itself. I'm not sure if we'll see the same thing here, but it could be something to watch for.

Just as an interesting side fact, Parma '09 ended up being retired. In-fa is the name that replaced it.

20151119.2119.f18.x.91h_1deg.27WIN-FA.75

• 4 weeks later...

Archived