• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Water Content of Snow/Ice Cover

ChescoWx

With yesterday's 20.0" of snow/IP/ZR here in NW Chester County which melted down to 2.08" we have now had 33.1" of snow so far this month and with the 1.69" that of ZR that fell on 5th we now have in the current 25" snow depth 5.52" of water equivalent. We have already had 9.02" of water equivalent precipitation this year here in NW Chesco. I keep telling my wife....who is so fed up with this weather I can't begin to tell you....that it will be a great spring for the lawn...plenty of water and great protection from the cold. We have now had 25 consecutive days of snow cover plus since December 8th a span of 68 days we have had 44 days with snow cover. With the current glacier in place and with a couple more snow and ice events this week my Wxsim module still shows 20" of snow on the ground at 5pm this coming Thursday...plus by that point it is growing increasingly likely that we will once again see another cold stretch in the near future. I am pretty sure we will have at least one more significant snow event (over 6" here in NW Chesco) before winter finally gives way to what we all hope is a much deserved great spring! I have a new driver and am looking forward to chasing the little white ball later next month....although if it was Tony he will no doubt be out there soon with a little orange ball!

With yesterday's 20.0" of snow/IP/ZR here in NW Chester County which melted down to 2.08" we have now had 33.1" of snow so far this month and with the 1.69" that of ZR that fell on 5th we now have in the current 25" snow depth 5.52" of water equivalent. We have already had 9.02" of water equivalent precipitation this year here in NW Chesco. I keep telling my wife....who is so fed up with this weather I can't begin to tell you....that it will be a great spring for the lawn...plenty of water and great protection from the cold. We have now had 25 consecutive days of snow cover plus since December 8th a span of 68 days we have had 44 days with snow cover. With the current glacier in place and with a couple more snow and ice events this week my Wxsim module still shows 20" of snow on the ground at 5pm this coming Thursday...plus by that point it is growing increasingly likely that we will once again see another cold stretch in the near future. I am pretty sure we will have at least one more significant snow event (over 6" here in NW Chesco) before winter finally gives way to what we all hope is a much deserved great spring! I have a new driver and am looking forward to chasing the little white ball later next month....although if it was Tony he will no doubt be out there soon with a little orange ball!

Interesting, thanks. My only question is whether you have subtracted out from your snow cover the mass of snowpack (liquid equivalent) that has either melted and run off/evaporated or sublimated directly. I would think at least 1/3 of it has, despite the very cold temps. I know the 3" of snow I received in part 2 very early Friday morning was completely melted by Friday night.

Has anyone seen anything regarding amounts of potential rainfall later this week? I'm guessing if it's an inch or less, this will take a bite out of the snowpack but not put us at risk for major flooding.

An incredibly difficult forecast which I'm glad I don't have to officially make.  Warm rain on snow is the fastest way to melt it. 

An incredibly difficult forecast which I'm glad I don't have to officially make.  Warm rain on snow is the fastest way to melt it. 

I remember the 6" here on Jan. 2nd (with temps below freezing until Sunday afternoon of the 5th) disappeared overnight on Jan. 5th - 6th in the warm rain. The "snowpack" was all powder, but still.

I remember the 6" here on Jan. 2nd (with temps below freezing until Sunday afternoon of the 5th) disappeared overnight on Jan. 5th - 6th in the warm rain. The "snowpack" was all powder, but still.

The "saving grace", to be sure, is that it takes longer to melt a glacier, but there's still way more water in it than your "average" snow pack, so slower melting by depth lost would still release water at a fairly fast rate.

The "saving grace", to be sure, is that it takes longer to melt a glacier, but there's still way more water in it than your "average" snow pack, so slower melting by depth lost would still release water at a fairly fast rate.

Because I enjoy snow I wouldn't mind seeing the snowpack hang around (and be added to), yet it's a pretty safe bet that by mid March or the end of March it will be a memory. A gradual meltoff would be ideal, I don't know how likely (or not) that will be.

Cool map, but I have to ask, what is the rationale for what areas were included vs. not and what do the little areas represent (they're obviously not counties)? Just curious...

RU848789, I think this map was generated by MARFC because it includes river basins that have forecast points in them. Sorry for the delayed response, finally got a day off.

Archived