Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Attention office weather nerds

Gonzo

Good late morning, all...

In addition to lurking on this board, and its predecessor, as gonzo for years, I am also a reporter for the Washington Business Journal. Today, my editors asked me to write something about being the office weather nerd, because I have first person experience. 

I'm no expert (that's why lurk). But I know more than most people in my office (which isn't saying much), and so, I imagine, do you.

Anyway, I was hoping to get some thoughts from American members on what your office expects from you pre-storm. Do they mock you? Do they depend on you? 

For me, it's both. Post your thoughts here, or email me at [email protected]... I won't use anyone's real name, unless you want to be quoted.

Thanks!

I know I'm fairly depended on in my workplace. The biggest issue pre-storm is knowing that if you get it wrong your going to get some flack/grumpy co-workers. Usually I bump down my guess so that if it exceeds that forecast then everyone is happy, but if the storm fails then everyone isn't too upset and you can have bragging rights. Also I've tended to notice over the years that co-workers only notice the higher end of the prediction. If I say 6-10" and it snows 7" then some people come in and say "I didn't get 10" like you said". Somehow the higher number sticks in better when they recall the conversation. Another tip is to keep the prediction steady, this is a good rule for all public meteorologists but it's more personal in a workplace environment. Don't issue a forecast until you think you have a good handle on the situation, wildly varying predictions can confuse non-weather people and make you the bad guy in the end as different people remember your different predictions.

My immediate supervisor is a fellow wx nerd so we talk weather all the time.  For this one, he and a couple other coworkers have come to me asking what will happen.  This was the first time people have specifically asked me.  Most of the other coworkers get their info from other places and for the sake of office decorum I try not to correct them when they have some ridiculous thought based on the info they hear.

I was actually showing my boss the 850-925 levels to explain why we might flip for a brief period.  

I always send out email updates to the office days in advanced. If a coworker catches wind of possible weather before I tell them about it, I usually get made fun of for being "slow" with the news. It doesn't happen often. Summer storms, hurricanes, winter storms... doesn't matter, I will let them know before the news does.

Even while on maternity leave I was sending email updates or calling to give information for my office. I'd say they fully expect it from me and yes, I have gotten flack for busted forecasts (last March for example). But I don't mind it.

I'm in a similar situation as a lurker.. try to stay on top of things and give people a heads up if their commute is going to be impacted. Needless to say, they started using me more as a resource after the "Commutageddon" fiasco where I was home at 2:30 and they all had 12 hour commutes that evening.

Nice little article. I didn't get a chance to comment, but those who did reflected my experience. I get it in more than my office, too. My wife and daughter expect 100% accurate forecasts from me at all times. So do some friends of mine.

Love the article. I think Commutaggedon is the only reason people listen or pay attention when I send out the office emails. I warned them for a day on January 26, 2011, and they released just in time. I'm just glad, i'm not the only one that has this obsession, whose friends, wife, co-workers expect to be right all the time. 

My publisher walked up to my desk a few minutes ago for the latest. I gave him a best guess for his backyard (DC) and burbs, told him much of the snow would fall overnight, tomorrow's still a little iffy. But I was distracted. He asked, "Am I bothering you?" I said, "We have a paper to put out." Oh yeah. The job.

Archived