• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weather station?

SchaumburgStormer

Ok, so I know this is a thread probably best kept in the "marketplace" forum, but I wanted to keep it local.

I am looking at purchasing a new weather station, and I am just wondering what you folks are running with. I see multiple people with great month end reports, so I am intrigued.

Does that software to generate the reports come with the station, or is that an additional cost?

What is good on the market for reliable, but not bank breaking, station?

I am currently eying the Davis 6250 Vantage Vue. Worth the money?

Thanks for your help all!

I can't help with suggestions other than I have had great customer service with Davis.

I'm running an 11 year old Davis Vantage Pro. The wind speed and direction, temp gauge, dewpoint, and pressure readings are all very accurate. I have found that the rain gauge sometimes under-reports as compared to my CoCoRaHs gauge. 

However, the software to generate reports was an additional expense and doesn't play well with my newer OS.

Davis isn't cheap, but worth the money.

I have a Davis Vantage Pro2. Pricey, but it has been well worth the money. I've had the same experience as IWXwx with regards to sensor accuracy. The bit that connects it to your computer to use with software costs extra. It comes with some software (it looked really outdated - didn't even try it), but there are plenty of free/open-source alternatives that work very well.

I have a Davis Vantage Pro2. Pricey, but it has been well worth the money. I've had the same experience as IWXwx with regards to sensor accuracy. The bit that connects it to your computer to use with software costs extra. It comes with some software (it looked really outdated - didn't even try it), but there are plenty of free/open-source alternatives that work very well.

Yeah that software sucks. I'm using Cumulus to upload data. Really easy to use.

Vantage Pro 2 > Vantage Vue.

I have the Vue and really like it.  Has been flawless since June 2011.  I'd rather have the VP2 though since you can separate the anemometer from the rest of the station.  I sacrificed accurate wind data in favor of more accurate 2m temps.  Also easier to maintain the rain gauge, battery changes, etc.  If I lived out in the country where it was open, I'd be a lot more worried about wind data, and probably would have got the VP2.  In town there's so many trees even with an anemometer mounted at 33' it won't always be as accurate.  Anyway, that was my line of thinking when I purchased the Vue a few years ago.  May upgrade to the VP2 after moving next year.  Hope to find a place out in the country just outside of town. 

Along with the station I'm using the data logger, which grabs the info from the console and uploads it to the computer.  The software that both interprets and uploads to the web is Ambient Weather Virtual Weather Station.  Here's a screen shot of that from a bit ago.

ymmm.jpg

Do you upload to PWS.com? I'm using the demo of that, and it absolutely refuses to upload to it. Work on wunderground though.

Don't think I ever tried pws.com.  I upload to wunderground rapid fire, and also APRS.  That one is kind of cool because you get quality control updates, and also shows up on CWOP placefiles for GRX products.

http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/D7897

• 2 weeks later...

Archived