Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
WxChallenge 2013-14

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

40/29/20/0 - I took a real hard look at the winds and it seems as though MOS has been overdoing it today. Today's climo report and METAR's didn't get over 22 kts and with the winds relaxing tonight as the pressure gradient slacks off and the lapse rates decrease, I don't see any reason to go gangbusters. I was hesitant even to go 20 kts but 17-21 would be my ballpark figure. Tomorrow's high I have no idea on whether the NAM or GFS has the right idea, I compared the two bufkit files and found virtually no difference outside of the lapse rates near the surface. I went with the GFS because when in doubt, I'll take the GFS over the NAM.

PS. If you climo'd today, OUCH! 65/35/12/0.03 for climo. (~30 points vs. actual)

40/28/24/0.00

My wind is a bit ballsy, but NAM, GFS and RAP are all spitting out 20-22 kts, and the NAM MOS and GFS MOS both had 24.  The ASOS is elevated a bit above the surroundings, and with the climo report usually being higher than any actual observed wind, I didn't think 24 was too high.

41/29/21/0

With a solid cold air advection regime tonight with clouds didn't see a need to stray far at all from guidance for the low...with most models spitting out right around 29. There was some discrepancy with highs for tomorrow...I believe the NAM MOS was spitting out 40 and the GFS MOS 43...both raw models hit 40 or a shade higher. Given the temp briefly popped up to 41 late this afternoon despite clouds and CAA felt we'd at least get that warm tomorrow despite a cold start and cooler 700mb temps assuming we see the sun peak out. With the slackening gradient didn't want to go quite as high as MOS for wind.

Archived