• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z Model Thread - 12/17/10

As the block fades (and the AO- regime is forecast to bottom out shortly and then fade, probably ending during the first week in January +/- a few days), I suspect that will change.

FWIW, here are the mean high and low temperatures for DCA during AO- regimes in January when the ENSO 3.4 anomaly was -1.0 or below:

AO:

-3 or below: Mean high: 41.0; Mean low: 25.5

-2.99 to -1.00: Mean high: 43.5; Mean low: 28.9

-0.99 to 0: Mean high: 45.2; Mean low: 30.0

0 to +0.99: Mean high: 48.1; Mean low: 31.7

A similar outcome should be expected with respect to IAD. Hence, barring a resurgence of severe blocking, a milder regime looks quite likely for January.

Can't trust models 48 hours out, i'm not trusting anything 2 weeks out.:arrowhead:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay for clippers, looks like thats how we'll do most of our snow this year..Not really unexpected in my view, I expected about an average snowfall winter for the area.

looks pretty similar to the last on this run.. stripe from near chicago toward sw va and lighter up in this area .. ctr tracks thru nc

What do the temps look like?

maybe brief mix to start in extreme sw va but 0c line never gets much past the nc/va border and heads south during the passage... 2m temps look to get a bit above 32 before precip from SE VA up toward DC area but drop back below into the evening tuesday

How far north is the precip?

.05 runs from SW PA (small area of .1+ extreme sw pa) thru about HGR to BWI and into extreme SE MD on other side of bay. .1"+ from MRB to DCA and very tip of SE Md. .25"+ for western/sw VA into western NC. Small .5"+ across southern WV.

Bona fide storm on the GFS at 180-192...but......its 180-192

Wash, rinse, repeat......the story of the La Nina winter. We can barely get a clipper to perform for us, I highly doubt we will see a monster coastal the GFS is showing without some sort of amplification in the flow across the lower 48.

Archived