Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
2013 Mt. Holly CWA Convection Thread

SouthernNJ

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting.  I watched the radar and saw that Salem County got just pummeled under that heavy blob of rain.  We got the first push then had about a 15-20 minute period when we didn't get any rain, then it restarted in all its fury.  Last half hour we had a nice light and sound show.  

I'm at 2.30" for the day.  That's plenty for me.

Wife at work in gloucester city on rt 130 says nbc10 is in their parking lot....rain back down to moderate here watching radar to see if more develops to our sw....over four inches at phl per pns

Everything's closed, 76 right at 295 has at least 15 vehicles in high water, closed in both directions. The expressway is a parking lot from Mays Landing to 42. At least it was a while ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

7.35" total for PHL so far. New all-time daily record rainfall.

576 SXUS71 KPHI 282314RERPHLRECORD EVENT REPORT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ0711 PM EDT SUN JUL 28 2013...RECORD ALL TIME DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET AT PHILADELPHIA PA...A RECORD ALL TIME DAILY RAINFALL RAINFALL OF 7.35 INCHES WAS SET AT PHILADELPHIA PA TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE ALL TIME RECORD FOR A SINGLE DAY RAINFALL SET DURING TROPICAL STORM FLOYD OF 6.63 INCHES WHICH WAS ON SEPTEMBER 16TH 1999. RECORDS GO BACK TO 1872. $$GAINES

576 SXUS71 KPHI 282314RERPHLRECORD EVENT REPORT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ0711 PM EDT SUN JUL 28 2013...RECORD ALL TIME DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET AT PHILADELPHIA PA...A RECORD ALL TIME DAILY RAINFALL RAINFALL OF 7.35 INCHES WAS SET AT PHILADELPHIA PA TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE ALL TIME RECORD FOR A SINGLE DAY RAINFALL SET DURING TROPICAL STORM FLOYD OF 6.63 INCHES WHICH WAS ON SEPTEMBER 16TH 1999. RECORDS GO BACK TO 1872. $$GAINES

Going to be hard to forget that RER. 

Precisely this...

I wonder if that little non-tropical low that NHC referenced in an earlier outlook off the coast had any influence?  Seems like it had a little blow up of convection near our latitude as the line of showers/storms was pushing in from the west...perhaps it slowed it and increased convergence over this little slice of the lower delaware valley...so very localized, but in a highly populated area and an area critical to transportation had quite the impact for many.

I wonder if that little non-tropical low that NHC referenced in an earlier outlook off the coast had any influence? Seems like it had a little blow up of convection near our latitude as the line of showers/storms was pushing in from the west...perhaps it slowed it and increased convergence over this little slice of the lower delaware valley...so very localized, but in a highly populated area and an area critical to transportation had quite the impact for many.

Nice little meso low probably enhanced the frotogenic forcing and stalling the boundary right over PHL.

In comparison to PHL's total, a paltry 0.89" on the day up here, bringing me to a still not-too-shabby 5.19" on the month.

Storm now moving into New Castle Co. just keeps looking better and better.  Let's see if it finally collapses when it hits the over-turned atmosphere closer to Philly.

Just ready to head to bed, but here we go again. Another impressive batch of storms approaching northern Delaware.. There was a warning with these storms, but not at this hour.  Still this will contains a lot of lightning and again, more heavy rain.  Man, has today been unreal.  

Oh wow.. Checking out GR radar, this is just nuts at this hour.  Showing up to 80 just west of Wilmington.  Doesn't look like large hail at the moment, but man, that has to be putting down intense rainfall.  I think I'll stay up and watch what happens.  

Archived