• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
New Droid phones will have temperature and RH sensors.

Not exactly the most recent news, but figured I would post it just to raise awareness.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aminor.weatherstation

Starting with Android version 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), Google introduced code for ambient temperature and relative humidity sensors. The Samsung Galaxy S4 (IV) has all three hardware sensors used by this app. Devices like the LG Nexus 4; Samsung Nexus 10, Galaxy S3, Note2, Note, and Nexus; Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD, DROID4, XOOM, XOOM 2, DROID XYBOARD 8.2 & 10.1, and XT928; Sony Xperia ZL, go (advance), and active; maybe others only have a pressure sensor (barometer).

post-96-0-28236200-1368016874_thumb.png

-----

Add that to this attachable anemometer and you've got yourself a fairly functional (though probably not incredibly accurate) handheld weather station!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vaavud/a-wireless-wind-meter-containing-no-electronics

Cool but the fact that the screen heats up the device along with having to take the time to try and find a shady area to take temperature measurements may make this very difficult to get any accuracy at all.. plus the general public may believe the temperature when they wip it out on an 80 degree day and it reads 100 instead.

Got the S4 back on the first. Just downloaded the app. Pretty cool! ^_^

My weather station display is showing 76.9F as the indoor temp, the senor on my phone is reading 81.05F, and that's with it in my hand.

Tested it outside, temp averaged around 65F while my weather station was at 72.4F (Phone sensor was only about 10ft away from my actual thermometer), nearest ASOS is at 71F. 

*Note my outside thermometer has a slight warm bias, ~ +1.0F

So the phone thermometer is probably calibrated to show cooler temps than what it really is.

Got the S4 back on the first. Just downloaded the app. Pretty cool! ^_^

My weather station display is showing 76.9F as the indoor temp, the senor on my phone is reading 81.05F, and that's with it in my hand.

Tested it outside, temp averaged around 65F while my weather station was at 72.4F (Phone sensor was only about 10ft away from my actual thermometer), nearest ASOS is at 71F. 

*Note my outside thermometer has a slight warm bias, ~ +1.0F

So the phone thermometer is probably calibrated to show cooler temps than what it really is.

Maybe they will patch that issue.... There should be some type of calibration option.

Archived