• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Looking At Getting a DSLR

So after finding out that I will be getting a bigger refund than I thought and my old point and shoot acting up, I think it's time to make the jump to DLSR.  My main targets are storms (I can't wait to actually shoot lightning with a shutter release!!!!!!!!).  I would really like to stay under the $550 mark and I think I have it narrowed down to the rebel T3 (cheap and I need a tripod as well), Rebel T3i, and the Nikon D5100.  Seems as if the D5100 has a better sensor?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

All the Canon and Nikon budget DSLR's are good. Between the two it comes down to preferences (menu system, outer controls and placement of controls, grip, etc.). Both have a TON of lenses, but the best wide angle belongs on the Canon side (the EF-S 10-22mm). The Nikon D5100 is a good choice though. I have a D7000 and love it, and I personally prefer the handling of Nikon DSLRs over Canon, but that is personal ( I used to shoot Canon before my camera and lenses were lost). Many like Canon's for the same reason. Best advice is first hold the various models at a store. as you may find you prefer one over the other based on various attributes of the two platforms.

If you are interested in getting good lightning and night time shoots, consider using a remote.  The slightest bump by your finger touching the camera can make for blurry shots.

Yup, I got the IR remote ... i think I will let me do manual exposures with that as well (click to open and click again to close).  Thankfully my point shoot had/has a 3 second delay timer.  I have be using a sudo remote by setting the exposure and then kicking off the 3 second timer and immediately taking my hands off the camera.

Note to all you CGs that I missed because you occurred after my stupid 7 second exposure limit ... I own you now.

Love this camera!  Any case recommendations?   There are sooooo many out there (and they are all pretty much the same price surprisingly).  Recommendations?  Would really like something that I could comfortably fit 2 detached lenses in ... plus the camera, extra memory cards, cleaning supplies, etc as well obviously.

Archived